DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Trans band adjustment help? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/219377-trans-band-adjustment-help.html)

zman17 10-28-2009 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by xray99 (Post 1855789)
I beg to differ, it can hurt adjusting bands.
At least one member, purple dodge I believe, toasted his tranny doing just that.

That's because he admittedly did it wrong. And plus, there was nothing wrong with his tranny to begin with, so he didn't even need to do it.

However, I will say that it's not a job for the novice to attempt.

xray99 10-28-2009 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by zman17 (Post 1855851)
That's because he admittedly did it wrong. And plus, there was nothing wrong with his tranny to begin with, so he didn't even need to do it.

However, I will say that it's not a job for the novice to attempt.

Thats what I'm sayin.
I was going to do this myself some months back, but backed off.
I recall there was some confusion because a set of different torque specs were floating around.

ladodgerfan 10-28-2009 06:06 PM

ya and im a novice so i will leave it to a pro, i did change the fluid and filter but there was only small fragments in pan ... someone is dropping by tonight so i can use his scanner hope i find a code or two. I'd rebuilt it my self but i dont have the correct tools to start and finish .. broken down truck and no money to fix crapo thats life.....

thanks for all the info guys

Augiedoggy 10-28-2009 07:01 PM

so your saying it shifts fine into all gears but then at the same time your saying the rpms just climb at it doesn't speed up like it should which would indicate its in fact not shifting when it should?.... If that's the case it could be electrical like the transducer ,governor pressure solenoid or throttle position sensor or even speed sensor acting up.....but any of these are way less than a rebuild....mine wouldn't shift out of second right then quit shifting out of first (limp home mode) and the transducer and gov soleniod fixed it for me...... Just something to consider if it seems to delay shifting and then late or not at all....
oh yea my $60 harbor frieght code reader gave me a 1741 error so if you see that your already ahead.

ladodgerfan 10-28-2009 08:01 PM

bingo you nailed it, its not shifting around 20 and u can really tell when u go up a hill. Sure hope its won of those sensors gone bad

xray99 10-28-2009 10:33 PM

If your not confident in your ability to adjust bands, for sure don't try a home brew rebuild.
There are shops that work on trannys, and only trannys, for a reason - They are complex, unforgiving mechanical devices, and a lot of great mechanics never bother to learn the first thing about working on them.
Hopefully it won't come to a rebuild, if it does, shop around.

Sensors on the other hand are an easy fix and not too much $$, I did a DIY some time ago when I replaced mine.