2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans band adjustment help?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:21 PM
ladodgerfan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans band adjustment help?

I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 slt 5.9L and I need help on how to adjust the bands on my tranny.

From start to finish please..I hope this works cause i wanna start driving my truck again.

thanks david

Old 10-27-2009, 10:26 PM
ET RAM
Rookie

I can only give you a general idea how to do it. My manual only goes to 1998. First you need a manual to get the adjustment information. You have to determine which transmission model you have then look up info. Plan on changing the transmission fluid and filter. You have 2 bands a front and rear. The front adjustment screw is on the left side of the transmission on the outside. The rear screw is inside where the pan is located.

What you do is loosen a lock nut. Then you tighten the adjusting screw to a given specification. Once there, you have to turn the adjusting screw back the number of specified turns. Then you torque the locknut.

As an example a 1998 model with an 46RE transmission:

Front band, tighten to 72 in-lbs and back off 2 7/8 turns
Rear band, tighten to 72 in-lbs and back off 2 turns

Torque locknut, Front 30 FT-lbs
Rear 25 Ft-lbs

Then you change the filter, install the pan and gasket and fill it with fluid.

Again, get the specifications for your transmission.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:23 PM
ladodgerfan

thanks for the info

Old 10-27-2009, 11:53 PM
xray99
Banned

All kinds of info here on band adjustment.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/search....archid=1245567
What kind of symptoms are you experiencing that you think adjusting the bands will help ?
Not really something you do just for the heck of it, you stand to do more harm than good if you make the slightest error adjusting them.

Last edited by xray99; 10-27-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:41 AM
ladodgerfan

well this all started a year ago trying to remember what really started all this crap but know when i have it in drive going about 20 mph and if i increase the spead the rpm's just keep climbing between 2000 to 2500 or higher but it dont drive any faster.. also it whines when the spead increases

I've had a local tranny shop look at it and they said i needed a rebuilt cause they couldn't get it to go into gear but it shifts fine in all gears

feels like it is still in a lower gear at 20mph or its restricted i just am frustrated

Old 10-28-2009, 01:03 AM
xray99
Banned

Well, maybe someone else can comment on those symptoms, theres alot of good tranny guys here who have been through the mill and back with these trannies.

You need a snap-on scan tool hooked up while driving, that might just tell you everything you need to know.
Some tranny shops have them and wil scan for free, others may want $25 or so.
Might also work to run a craigslist add in services wanted "looking for snap-on scan tool" and see if you can get someone local to hook one up for a small fee.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:11 AM
ladodgerfan

ya have someone dropping by tomorrow to scan it for me

Old 10-28-2009, 02:32 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong, but that whine usually either means clutch pack clatter or something in the vlavebody. I don't think a band adjust is going to help any if at all.

I know mine whines at cruising speed when you are under acceleration, but it's done that for the last 70,000 miles and I trust the old guy that rebuilt it saying it was common to hear that sound when he rebuilt one. Apperantly he does something funky with the shift kit that he buys to use. I'm not sure what, but every tranny that I've seen him rebuilt is done well the first time. Only times he's had one come back is when some idiot doesn't know that neutral drops= bad.

I'm not saying yours is normal. Don't read wrongly.

Oh, you might consider getting onto JC whitney's site and looking at their OBDII scanners. You can pick one up that will scan 2008 and below vehicles for about $300 or less. I opted for the higher end one just for the fact that it will monitor the on board sensors. Great for trouble shooting. You could also find an older model on ebay fairly cheap.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:13 AM
xray99
Banned

A $3,000 snapon scan tool will tell you far, far more than any handheld OBD2 unit can.
Maybe your talking about something else, but you can get them for way less than $300.
I have one that feeds back basic "live" info, I think I paid $90 for it.
It has it uses, but you are not going to get much serious diagnostic info from it.

I tried searching Whitneys site out of curiosity ,,, I remember getting their catalogs all the time years ago - But my searches kept coming back as "your session has expired", so I couldn't see what they have to offer.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:24 AM
Pysiek
Professional

Originally Posted by ladodgerfan
well this all started a year ago trying to remember what really started all this crap but know when i have it in drive going about 20 mph and if i increase the spead the rpm's just keep climbing between 2000 to 2500 or higher but it dont drive any faster.. also it whines when the spead increases

I've had a local tranny shop look at it and they said i needed a rebuilt cause they couldn't get it to go into gear but it shifts fine in all gears

feels like it is still in a lower gear at 20mph or its restricted i just am frustrated
Sounds like problem I have before. What the transmission shop told me is to change the catalyc converter,so I did and that fix my problem.
In short my problem was that I can't drive no more then 30-35 MPH and the truck was acting really weird,like something is wrong with transmission. That's why I took it to transmission shop right away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans band adjustment help?