2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 12:10 AM
98Dodgeram360V8Mag
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission.

Alright so for a while now my transmission will get stuck in 2nd gear when the truck is cold and because it is cold outside. Nothing out of the ordinary, just let off of gas and it will shift. But lately it has REALLY been getting stuck! Even for a long time after it is warmed up. Is it because it is really cold out or is it a sensor of some sort??? I even stay lightly on the gas and its gotten up to close to 4,000 rpm's and wont shift. And now lately it has also been acting like it is getting confused or something. When it gets stuck, every once in a while it will shift down to 1st and up to 3rd and then back into 2nd. :/ While warmed up too. This all happens while town driving.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:25 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Get yourself one of these http://www.doghousediesel.com/catalog/i307.html And use ATF+4 fluid only when you refill. Get a drain plug for the tranny pan also.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:13 PM
98Dodgeram360V8Mag
Veteran

So its probabaly a solenoid? I might have to check into that one. Would that aftermarket one change the performance of the trans?

Old 03-08-2013, 12:19 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The screens on the solenoid could be clogged, or the little block assembly thingy could be clogged too.

The BW Solenoid is a good bit larger than the stock one.

I did this upgrade the other day, Tuesday I think.....

And it's quite simple to change, drop the pan, 4 bolts & 2 torx screws, unhook the clips for the solenoid and pressure sensor and walla. Easy peasy.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:39 PM
gdstock
Legend

+1 more on the BW solenoid. Also check TV cable to make sure it is correct.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:32 PM
CRosner

My truck shifts through the gears all the way up just fine but when I slow down it doesn't shift down sometimes thought it might be a sensor or something any suggestions on where to start?

Old 03-08-2013, 11:51 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by CRosner
My truck shifts through the gears all the way up just fine but when I slow down it doesn't shift down sometimes thought it might be a sensor or something any suggestions on where to start?

A new thread? WIth the information on our truck in the sig so we know what you are worhing on, ..........

And along with the symptoms maybe add what you have done to try to correct it.

Last edited by gdstock; 03-14-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:40 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 on govenor pressure soleniod... clean it or replace it with the borg warner unit... I have done mine twice now and the second time around I had to had the tranny rebuilt but went with the borg warner solenoid. If you ignore it you will end up only having 2nd gear as the truck will eventually go into "limp home" mode and not shift any higher... been there.. If the screen is plugged solid with shavings its a good warning that you might want to prepare to replace the transmission or truck (which ever is cheaper).

Old 03-12-2013, 08:25 PM
diverjer
Professional

I had similar problem when cold, always good when warm. Could force shift by manually putting in 2nd and then back to drive, that always makes shift even when freezing out. I changed fluid and filter, used ATF +4 and added drain valve. After a few hundred miles, I drained fluid and added new ATF +4. It is doing much better, but not perfect. I may do one more fluid change or might just do as suggested here and switch out sensor and solenoid? I have read and reread those instructions in TV adjustment, the terms in manual (one from this site) just don't match pictures in manual figures and pictures a little different than what on truck. I bet the TV adjustment is easy, but for some reason I get mental blocks on it, need to see someone do it. The shift into OD works perfect.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by diverjer
I had similar problem when cold, always good when warm. Could force shift by manually putting in 2nd and then back to drive, that always makes shift even when freezing out. I changed fluid and filter, used ATF +4 and added drain valve. After a few hundred miles, I drained fluid and added new ATF +4. It is doing much better, but not perfect. I may do one more fluid change or might just do as suggested here and switch out sensor and solenoid? I have read and reread those instructions in TV adjustment, the terms in manual (one from this site) just don't match pictures in manual figures and pictures a little different than what on truck. I bet the TV adjustment is easy, but for some reason I get mental blocks on it, need to see someone do it. The shift into OD works perfect.
solenoid replacement was the first time I touched a bolt on a transmission and I was relieved to see how easy it was. changing some of the fluid as well as solenoids can all help but also could just be masking a bigger issue.

Quick Reply: Transmission.