2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

whats with my steering?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 12:25 AM
rafter40
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats with my steering?

2000 dodge ram 1500 sport 360
i commute in my truck and cruise at about 70 mph. when i straighten out the steering wheel after i switch lanes or go around a curve the truck still veers slightly toward the direction i was just turning. in order to stop this i have to over correct by turning the steering wheel slightly past where i should have to for a second and then it seems to drive straight. i have 285 75 16s if that plays a part in this.
would an alignment fix this or is it something loose or more ? im hoping this isnt serious what do u guys think?

Old 11-30-2009, 01:17 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Your steering most likely just needs tightening. Common issue.

You can do a search and find a couple threads on the subject, IIRC. Usually an easy fix.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:30 AM
WScott1500
Rookie

zman17 is a big proponent of this product: http://rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/

Old 11-30-2009, 07:28 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Does not sound like that bushing is the problem though. Something is binding, tie rods, ball joints, or trac bar is worn, or as Jason stated, the gear box might be loose or just shot.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:47 PM
helms
All Star

it just sounds like the caster is out. visually check everything under the truck, including the steering stabilizer. I have seen a few people drive into things that bend the rod in it and make it very hard to compress and extend it. If you cant see anything wrong, take it to an alignment shop.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:36 PM
mjackson92rs
Professional

Originally Posted by rafter40
2000 dodge ram 1500 sport 360
i commute in my truck and cruise at about 70 mph. when i straighten out the steering wheel after i switch lanes or go around a curve the truck still veers slightly toward the direction i was just turning. in order to stop this i have to over correct by turning the steering wheel slightly past where i should have to for a second and then it seems to drive straight. i have 285 75 16s if that plays a part in this.
would an alignment fix this or is it something loose or more ? im hoping this isnt serious what do u guys think?
+1.

My truck does the same exact thing. Started when I had 285/75/16 tires installed the other day. I'm going to have to agree with helms above and say the alignment was thrown out of whack due to the taller tires. Could this be?

Last edited by mjackson92rs; 11-30-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:43 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

^most definatly.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

if there any slop in the steering wheel?....Mine was sloppy due to play in the intermediate shaft telescoping joint its in the middle of the main shaft that connects the steering wheel with the gearbox under the rubber cover you could twist it by hand and check for slop...I could feel the 2 to 3 inches of play in my steering though....

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 11-30-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:34 PM
rafter40

thanks for the input guys. i just realized havent really checked all the steering components since i noticed the problem. but something else it does is when i turn all the way to one direction and drive it makes a "binding" sound similar to a telephone ring. it has done this since i got it and before the other problem (im not as worried about this but thought it might help).

the steering doesnt seem to have too much play, but then again i had a 95 f150 before and that had lots of play so im not sure what to compare it to (not a sports car)
-i had 285 75 16s before as well but cant remember it the problem existed before that or not. (they previous tires were very unevenly worn)
-im really dont know what all the different steering components are but i can look that up.
helms- you talked about the caster being out from hitting something... well i did hit a pole but at like 5mph before. you said a rod could be bent. would that be a side effect of bumper impact, or are you refering to direct impact in the rod?

lastly what is an IIRC? ... sorry for the long post

Old 11-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rafter40
thanks for the input guys. i just realized havent really checked all the steering components since i noticed the problem. but something else it does is when i turn all the way to one direction and drive it makes a "binding" sound similar to a telephone ring. it has done this since i got it and before the other problem (im not as worried about this but thought it might help).

the steering doesnt seem to have too much play, but then again i had a 95 f150 before and that had lots of play so im not sure what to compare it to (not a sports car)
-i had 285 75 16s before as well but cant remember it the problem existed before that or not. (they previous tires were very unevenly worn)
-im really dont know what all the different steering components are but i can look that up.
helms- you talked about the caster being out from hitting something... well i did hit a pole but at like 5mph before. you said a rod could be bent. would that be a side effect of bumper impact, or are you refering to direct impact in the rod?

lastly what is an IIRC? ... sorry for the long post
if your last tires wore unevenly you need an alignment at least....It also sounds like you have some other worn out components up there...

Quick Reply: whats with my steering?