2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 07:34 PM
TurbineTech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Restoration

So I just got done removing my headlamp assemblies and "restoring" them. I wet sanded them starting the 600 grit then went to 1000 and finished with 2000. After sanding I polished them with Meguires plastic polish and then sealed them a Blue Magic product.

Even after all of this they still kind of look a little hazy. Did I miss something or is there another trick to throw in the mix?

Thanks,
B

Old 04-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Ram_King
Professional

new lights is prob your best bet

Old 04-24-2011, 09:04 PM
dodgeramit_10
Veteran

did u sand before wet sand? I bought the 3m restore kit for my drill and I spent a hr on them and look like new. That was a sand, wet sand, polish deal

Old 04-24-2011, 09:07 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's a kit made by an outfit called Crystal View that comes with some solvent used to seal the surface. It comes out about as nice as you're going to get. I got the kit on sale for something like $12 and am pleased enough that I'm not going to replace the headlamps. Or, at least, I'm not going to replace them before I get around to duding up the truck later this year with fresh paint, new grille, bumpers, head and tail lamps, new windshield, etc.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:15 PM
TurbineTech

I did not "dry" sand them before hand, only wet sand. I really want a set of the "Angel Eyes" projectors but everything I see says specifically not for the sport model. I did find these just a minute ago on E-Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DUAL-...ht_5472wt_1002

They show the rear of the assembly and it has two headlight bulbs per unit and does not specifically say "not for sport". Maybe I found what I'm looking for?

Old 04-24-2011, 09:17 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the same technique as you Turbine and mine came out beautiful. You just need to take your time at each phase and they'll be crystal clear.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:57 PM
heavyduty1983
Professional

hey turbine fyi those headlights will fit the sport i have them on my 99 dodge ram sport but the suck something fierce, i had them professionally installed twice cause i thought the first time they looked like crap second time no difference, u cant see the road past 20 feet of so in front of you. i have bout other halo headlights before and they said not for the sport but they fit anyways

Old 04-24-2011, 11:11 PM
TurbineTech

Thanks, for the help guys. I think I might be down for sanding them again. Although this time I'm just going to tape the heck out the areas around and not worry about removing them completely. Rolling the bumper forward was kind of a PITA.

Thanks for the heads up on the Angel Eyes as well...

Quick Reply: Headlight Restoration