2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46re rpm jumps when shifting into overdrive

Old 03-14-2020, 03:21 PM
Fordguy429
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46re rpm jumps when shifting into overdrive

New member here. I'm a Ford guy but recently traded an old dirt bike for a 2001 dodge ram 1500 4x4. It only has 190,000 kilometers on it but this truck is tired. It has many problems but the one I'm focusing on now is the transmission. The previous owner said it has a shift kit and I sort of believe it because the shifts are quick and sort of firm. It shifts into all gears good except overdrive. When it shifts into overdrive the rpm jumps up a bit then drops down and it shifts. It does this quickly not like normal slipping transmission where it's slow to shift. So far I have adjusted the tv cable but it didnt change anything. The fluid is at the correct level and is not dirty and does not smell burnt. I've been searching for a fix for this for a long time and haven't found anything useful. Is there a fix for this or will I have to get this transmission rebuilt?

Old 03-14-2020, 04:24 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

If I remember correctly, when trans shifts from 3rd to overdrive, it drops the torque converter clutch off for a brief moment. I haven't driven Dodge that has a factory operation in trans, for years, so I can't be sure. But I faintly remember that mine had just noticable rpm rise between 3rd and 4th (od).

Old 03-15-2020, 08:21 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Overdrive and tcc lock up are both controlled by the pcm. Should go into od after you get to approximately 45 mph. Might want to check pressures and see what you have. Pressure drop may be causing the rpms to go up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 46re rpm jumps when shifting into overdrive