2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what would u suggest for a full tune up??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 05:33 PM
djdavidjustin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what would u suggest for a full tune up??

Hey guys,

i got a 1998 dodge ram 1500 3.9L V6 hitting 201k miles, gonna be moving to the city and i want my truck to be running Tip Top. the truck is stock besides the K&N air intake and the Bosch platinum 4+ Plugs i have, i have noticed that the truck doesn't quickly respond when i hit the gas, doesn't really have any "take off". i havent checked the gas mileage but i put 10 bucks in gas and its gone in about 50 miles highway with gas at 2.69/gal. my catalytic converter is gutted not by choice but all those combs came out of it, the mechanic that did it said i could just leave it like that for better horsepower. but i want a second opinion cause every time the check engine comes on i go to auto zone they say its the cat.

any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks guys!

Old 04-18-2010, 06:01 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes i would say get a v8 jk

seriosly though cap rotor plugs wires change oil i add engine restore too restore back some compression.

also check your plenum look down throttle body for oil too see if there oil ,if so then you have a leak then replace the belly pan and you would get some power back.

it may need some sensors replace on throttle body and maybe new o2 sensors i know the v6 really lacks in the power compartment stock just like the v8 .

Old 04-18-2010, 06:35 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but before you do the tune up,,,, use sea foam,,, then the tune up

Old 04-18-2010, 08:18 PM
95ram5.9
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First you must realize you have a big heavy truck powered by a V6, and a small V6 at that. Like mentioned, ckeck your plenum. I personally recommend ditching the Bosch plugs, from my experience they are garbage and make your engine run like crap. As for a tuneup, forget about it. Unless it's missing and running like garbage, replacing parts is'nt going to accomplish anything but a lighter wallet.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:28 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACC-TST10/

the cap has brass terminals and the plugs are great for our engines. The wires are also better than stock. Very good actually.

I get this kit once per year.

Quick Reply: what would u suggest for a full tune up??