2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My plenum story

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:30 PM
01Rammer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My plenum story

My ram was burning up oil bad and a sprayed wd 40 aroung the intake manifold gasket and it sucked it all in. So I bought all the stuff to fix it. Took the plenum plate off cleaned the inside of my manifold and put my rtv and the new gasket on when i was tightening the bolts down one of them snapped off in the manifold. Its not sticking out at all its inside. and now i broke about three drill bits trying to get it out. THAT SUCKS. My haynes manual says to tighten the bolts in three steps. The first step at 24 in lbs, the second at 48 in lbs, and the third at 84 in lbs. Does that sound right?? 84 inch lbs for bolts that small. And should i replace all the bolts? because the one i snapped off i didnt even get it on there good and tight.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Green01

I thought that the manifold gets tightened to 72 in/lbs but I have to double check. 72 in/lbs is only 6 ft/lbs. Are you sure you are using an in/lb wrench? The head of bolts are what holds things together so once the head is broken off the shaft the bolt does not need much torque to remove. I would try and cut a straight groove onto the top of the bolt with a dremel tool and remove it with a straight screwdriver.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:52 PM
01Rammer

i found out my problem. the torque wrench i was using has two different sides one for ft and one for in. i set it right. But i dont know about how much 84 in lbs should feel. the torque wrench is messed up. i used my step dads old one thats broke. He didnt tell me till it was too late. This is my first mechanic project i have really worked on. But i went to a pull a part junkyard and found tons of these intake manifolds. there on grand cherokees, ram vans, and the 5.9 intake even fits. i got a 5.9 intake . another question. Do the 5.9 intake manifolds have the same plenum issue? that way i dont have to fix it. Or would it be best to go ahead and replace the gasket since its already out anyways.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:04 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if its a magnum motor, it needs to be replaced. and if it fits, its a magnum motor. lol. 3.9, early 4.7(maybe?), 5.2, 5.9. Dont just replace the gasket, with the stock plate, it will happen again maybe in about 3,000 miles or so. If youre doing it, do it right. get a hughes plenum reinforcement kit.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...p?partid=22220

Old 04-06-2010, 09:04 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

all the magnum intakes have the problem, but beware there are a few minor differences in years and models, including EGR/no EGR, one/two temp sensors, and number/size/location of the vacuum ports. so if you get one from the junkyard, check all those little details.

you should be able to get the broken bolt out of yours with some patience. remove the belly plate and clamp the intake down to the workbench or drill press. use about a 1/8 inch drill bit right in the center of the broken bolt. keep the drill straight and stay at it. once you open up a hole, try an ease-out.

by the way, 84 inch pounds is only 7 foot pounds, which is about like one hand choked up on the ratchet.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:40 PM
01Rammer

what about a jeep grand cherokee? They have the 318 and the intake manifolds are interchangeable. Do the jeeps have the same problem? If not then i could use that intake . And ill be sure sure to look at all the vacuum lines and plugs to make sure they will match up. Another thing. My cable that goes from transmission to throttle body, the little plastic piece was hanging on by a thread . How hard would it be to replace that cable or can i just get another little plastic end for it?

Old 04-07-2010, 09:14 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

All 1994-2002 5.2L V8s and 5.9L V8s have this issue, whether it's in a Jeep or a Dodge, or any other Chrysler product. 3.9L V6s as well.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:16 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

drill that sucker out. you could be done already.

Quick Reply: My plenum story