DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   new keyless thought (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/240932-new-keyless-thought.html)

bigtman07 04-07-2010 04:22 PM

new keyless thought

So the other day I had a random thought. I was walking away locking my truck with the keyless, and a few rows down another ram owner locked theirs. But mine doesn't beep. But theirs did. So when did they start adding the beep confirmation to 2nd gens?? How hard would it be to add to a 98. I really miss the flashing parks and the horn beep. Any ideas on how hard it would be to get my ram to do this??

contractorben 04-07-2010 04:36 PM

Put a viper alarm/ remote start on. I have one on my ram and love it, winter time you can hit the remote start and heat will be on. And you would have alarm. It flashes park lights and chirps when you lock and unlock.

bigtman07 04-07-2010 04:45 PM

hmmmmmm ok then that raises the question of does it replace the factory alarm? And what the difficulty level. I'm gonna look into it if it isn't ungodly expensive. Ok so i checked out their website and says that there isn't one for a 98. Any idea what model i should look at?

Maxx_Magnum 04-07-2010 06:04 PM

I've installed an alarm on my old beretta, not that hard as long as you have a wiring diagram and instructions with the alarm....

and I know my dad's 99 Ram has the beep, so they either changed it in 99, or it's an option you can change, like the auto locks

xxxcowxboyxxx 04-07-2010 06:46 PM

my 99 had it also. it beeped...but no lights flashed

jasonw 04-07-2010 06:52 PM

You can turn the beep on or off, or at least you can in the 2001s. Look in your manual, it will tell you the procedure. It escapes me at the moment. However, your lights will not flash unless you get an aftermarket system. The factory units for these trucks never did anything with the external lights.

I had a Viper put into my wife's 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. They don't disable the factory remote entry (keyless entry), but they do bypass (but not disable) the factory panic alarm. I'm sure if you hit the panic button on the factory remote, the old alarm would still go off.

dakotas ram 04-08-2010 03:21 AM

could you tap into the beep and wire it to the lights so they flash to the beep?

kissmymagnum 04-08-2010 05:33 AM

Jmo but I would think that you would be honking at people with your park lights on, and flashing your park lights when you hit the horn at the guy in your way (at least they would know who was trying to get their attention!)... Just a thought as it would power the other system and possibly overload the circuits.

bigtman07 04-08-2010 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by kissmymagnum (Post 2082692)
Jmo but I would think that you would be honking at people with your park lights on, and flashing your park lights when you hit the horn at the guy in your way (at least they would know who was trying to get their attention!)... Just a thought as it would power the other system and possibly overload the circuits.

I thought about that. But some of the alarm seems to be kinda confusing to trace the right wires.

Sad thing is that my 98 doesn't have the auto lock feature. So I guess I have a basic keyless entry. But if my windows are down and i unlock it by reaching through the window the alarm goes off. So is my system a true theft system or just a keyless with a small alarm attached??

I had also gone and looked at the viper website for an alarm and remote starter and guess what? They don't make ones to fit a 98.:icon_doh: So I guess I'm SOL unless you guys have some other thoughts. Know of any other alarms with a remote start that won't break the bank??

notanexit7 04-08-2010 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by jasonw (Post 2081988)
You can turn the beep on or off, or at least you can in the 2001s. Look in your manual, it will tell you the procedure. It escapes me at the moment. However, your lights will not flash unless you get an aftermarket system. The factory units for these trucks never did anything with the external lights.

I had a Viper put into my wife's 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. They don't disable the factory remote entry (keyless entry), but they do bypass (but not disable) the factory panic alarm. I'm sure if you hit the panic button on the factory remote, the old alarm would still go off.

Where can you have them installed? I'd do it but I'm no electrician and I want a professional job done.