2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intake Air Control?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 01:33 PM
kube1989
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Air Control?

All of a sudden Sat morning...started my '99 5.9L 1500 and it stalled right out.
I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running.

Battery is good, gas is good- no issues leading up to this.

I had a can of Intake Combustion Chamber Cleaner (Mopar) and followed the instructions.

Now it stalls immediately after start up, but after a minute or 2, it runs somewhat fine. I can feel it hiccup now and then.

The odd thing...cruise control doesn't really work now....it tries but then sputters as truck just slows down.

Sound like I should just replace the IAC or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Sounds like you may have a vacume leak. Your plenum gasket could have blown a little ago and your just noticing it now. Take of your air cleaner, get a mirror and look down your throttle body and see if you have a sheen/puddle of oil in your intake manifold. If you do, your plenum is blown causing a vacume leak.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:02 PM
kube1989
Default Plenum already redone

I bought the kit 2 years ago with the 1/4" heavy plate and redid all that- so I'd really be amazed if it's a plenum leak.

And the issue was immediate- absolutely tip-top Friday and all days before, completely bad the very next start up...

Old 04-12-2010, 05:31 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you can keep it running by applying slight pressure on the gas pedal, then its likely the IAC motor, or a stopped up throttle body port that the IAC pintle goes into. or, sometimes it can be a faulty TPS.

IAC is on the back of the TB, 2 #25 torx, easy to change. its about $40-45 from any parts store. while the old one is out, poke a wire into the port and make sure its not stopped up. if you decide to spray some cleaner in there, don't lose the little red straw from a can of TB cleaner down the intake. if the new IAC doesn't fix your problem, then replace the TPS and keep the old IAC as a spare.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:47 PM
revvinram
Professional

I would put money that it's the IAC valve, but personnally if you haven't changed the TPS yet replace that also!! I would recommend getting it either from Napa or the dealer...

Old 04-13-2010, 07:17 AM
kube1989
Default Thanks all...

I put in a new TPS 18 mos ago...will put in the new IAC tonite.

Much appreciated...

Old 04-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional

I had a problem last spring with my IAC. I took the air intake off and found that there was crud built up around the tb butterflies and in the slot where the IAC has to move back and forth. I cleaned it out and presto, fixed. I replaced my air filter too, down here in georgia we get lots of dust in the air around this time of year

Quick Reply: Intake Air Control?