2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

how do i adjust parking brake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 04:39 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how do i adjust parking brake?

Hey everybody. I think my parking brake needs tightened up. It's to the point where it won't hold on a hill like at a boat ramp, even though I know the tranny will hold the truck there while in park...maybe. I like to set it when on the ramp so that when i go to shift out of park into drive or reverse, it keeps the pressure off of the tranny and I feel it makes for a smoother shift into drive. Also another reason why i think it needs adjusted is when in neutral, the parking brake won't hold with the boat behnd on a hill. So how should I go about adjusting it? thanks guys!!

Old 04-20-2010, 04:43 PM
yakkier
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That can mean two things, the brakes in the rear have shattered " rear brakes very rarely wear out" or it needs to be tightened up which you can do by adjusting the linkage right infront of the drivers side rear tire, i cant remember the socket size but once you see it, you will kinda know how to tighten it up.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:48 PM
chromed95
Captain

Originally Posted by yakkier
That can mean two things, the brakes in the rear have shattered " rear brakes very rarely wear out" or it needs to be tightened up which you can do by adjusting the linkage right infront of the drivers side rear tire, i cant remember the socket size but once you see it, you will kinda know how to tighten it up.
shattered rear brakes?! oh god don't put that idea in my head I'll be paranoid about them hahah no i think it just needs adjusted. Thanks yak when i get it home tonight I'll have a look at it

Old 04-20-2010, 04:55 PM
yakkier
Banned

Ask 95RAM360 he had some what of the same issue, i dont know if they fell apart or exploded inside the drum and it wasnt all that bad i think he just replaced the pads and springs

Old 04-20-2010, 08:14 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you might need to just the parking brake cable under drivers side. or you may need to adjust the rear brake shoes tighter using the adjuster wheel and reaching through the backing plates. haha i doubt that they're shattered as i'd expect that to make a lot of noise.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Signal 2
Amateur

It does sound like it needs some adjusting but IMO, holding a boat of any size from going backwards on a hill of any consequence is asking alot of any parking brake.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:58 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

Thats half the reason of a parking brake, you dont want the extra strain on the tranny when your parked while your towing something and the parking brake should easily hold a boat,

My suggestion since you are towing a boat would be to spend a little money and get new shoes and springs for the rear brakes there pretty cheap and give some piece of mind and if you want to be spendy and get bigger rear cylinders for $20 bucks and be really happy

Old 04-20-2010, 09:00 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by Signal 2
It does sound like it needs some adjusting but IMO, holding a boat of any size from going backwards on a hill of any consequence is asking alot of any parking brake.
i adjust my parking brake where it locks up tight at about 3/4 of the travel of the foot pedal.

i set my parking brake on the boat ramp and it holds fine. i don't like to let it roll to the point where the transmission holds it. i've seen vehicles get stuck in park, where you couldn't shift it. i don't want to be in that position at a busy boat ramp.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Signal 2
Amateur

I'm sure it's happened, but I've never personally seen one stuck. Less likely if they set the brake before putting it in park. But over the years I've have seen more than one turn into a crappy submarine and end up a big pile of salvage metal by just using the brake.

Last edited by Signal 2; 04-20-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

haha. i set both. brake first, then in park. i'd throw out an anchor if i thought it would help. there's nothing more helpless looking than a truck underwater.

Quick Reply: how do i adjust parking brake?