2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Towing

Old 04-29-2010, 12:49 PM
blong4life
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing

Well,

I know these trucks have crappy trannies. It's about camping season, I am going to be pulling a 1500 or so lb popup camper. Is it safe to haul her with overdrive on? Or is it ebst to **** her off, any tips?

Need to get the ol chevy runnin for this I broke the flexplate the other day :/

Thanks,
Brandon

Old 04-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Bubba39047
Captain

i figure you would be fine to use it once you get goin, but startin out id probably keep her off. of get the nv3500 5-speed tranny like me

Old 04-29-2010, 01:33 PM
MrRuckuss
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should be ok with a 2500, if your going to put alot of weight in the bed of the truck then i'd be cautious with the od, use it on flat lands and if you get the hills i'd turn it off.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:44 PM
blong4life
Professional

Originally Posted by MrRuckuss
should be ok with a 2500, if your going to put alot of weight in the bed of the truck then i'd be cautious with the od, use it on flat lands and if you get the hills i'd turn it off.
Ok thanks guys.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:32 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, turn off at hills, and switch back on when you are flat.

Basically, when you are cruising and the grade of the road (can even be slight) is causing your speed to go DOWN to where you need to give it more gas...turn it off.

you will know when to turn it off when you are cruising at 75 and then when you hit a hill and keep the pedal in the same position, you will drop to about 55 MPH. but try to turn it off before that.

the reason why the trannies go out in these trucks is ebcause people haul in OD. THe manual even stated to TURN OFF OD when hauling OR WHEN GOING UP A HILL TOWING NOTHING.

--Dan

Old 04-29-2010, 02:34 PM
blong4life
Professional

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
Yup, turn off at hills, and switch back on when you are flat.

Basically, when you are cruising and the grade of the road (can even be slight) is causing your speed to go DOWN to where you need to give it more gas...turn it off.

you will know when to turn it off when you are cruising at 75 and then when you hit a hill and keep the pedal in the same position, you will drop to about 55 MPH. but try to turn it off before that.

the reason why the trannies go out in these trucks is ebcause people haul in OD. THe manual even stated to TURN OFF OD when hauling OR WHEN GOING UP A HILL TOWING NOTHING.

--Dan
Thanks dude, don't have the manual so I didn't actually know that. I know in my Chevy I never really had a problem, but these trucks I hear more horror stories.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing