2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front end rattle!!??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:51 AM
keith97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end rattle!!??

I have a 1997 Dodge ram 1500 4x4.. I have this terrible rattle thumping sound coming from the front end. It sounds.like rhe front axle is going to fall out from under the truck.. I have already replaced the frac bar, put on new shocks, and this past weekend I unfortunately had to put on new hub bearings.. I am at a loss to what might be causing this thumping sound... If anyone has any ideas PLEASE let me hear them..

Old 02-12-2013, 07:05 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hub bearings
track bar
ball joints
tie rod ends
front axle u-joints
lower shock bolts (torque to about 110#).

when does it do it?
is it a rotational noise like an axle or bearing
or is it a noise going over bumps?

Old 02-12-2013, 04:11 PM
keith97

Hub bearings are new.. shocks are only about a year old.. trac bar was just replaced last summer.... and the noise is only when going over bumps or a rough road..THANKS

Old 02-12-2013, 05:22 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shocks may be a year old but are they torqued down to spec?

Old 02-12-2013, 06:39 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

check shock lower bolts first. they'll rattle like crazy if only torqued to 50-60 pounds. the rattle is directly under driver and passenger feet.

next grab the tire at 12 oclock with both hands and push/pull with all your might. should be no movement. if the wheel wobbles or rattles investigate ball joints and possibly bearings but your new bearings pretty much rule them out.

to check upper lower ball joints, jack up the tire 2-3 inches off the ground. place a large pry bar, crow bar, or jack handle under the tire and pry up while watching upper and lower ball joint for movement. should be none.

since the rattle is only over bumps its probably not front axle u-joints but check them anyway. with tire on ground grab the inner half of ujoint/axle and rotate back and forth. should be no movement or play.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:45 AM
keith97

Torqued the lower shock bolts ladt night.. they were a little loose. Did some more looking around and noticed that noth swaybar links are shot and so are the swaybar bushings.. figured that could be a noise maker also.. what you guys think. Going to replace them this weekend.. see if it helps

Old 02-13-2013, 07:10 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

swaybar link bushings can rattle.
swaybar bushings would have to be really bad to rattle, but if they're hard or cracked or falling apart you'll be better off with new.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Michael Fralick

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
check shock lower bolts first. they'll rattle like crazy if only torqued to 50-60 pounds. the rattle is directly under driver and passenger feet.
Kudos man, I have noticed the same thing on my truck. I just barely replaced the swaybar links, they were pretty bad, lol. And in about a half hour I will go check my shocks because they're aftermarket! Thanks for the tip on this thread!

Quick Reply: Front end rattle!!??