2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Some body work questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 09:07 PM
rideordie
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some body work questions

Well my truck has minor imperfections in the body and I was going to try to get them done before winter, but I guess it will probably be mid-winter when I get it done now..

But anyway, I just wanted yalls opinions on how to do it the right way. I don't want it to look really $hitty, but if the paint is off a tiny bit or something, that's alright I guess..basically, I want it to look as good as possible, without dumping a ton of money into it.

1) My hood has some chips in it on one side, and in the middle of the hood on the top of it, it is starting to fade (I thought it might have been from the heat of the engine?, but I think I have one of those heat shield things, so IDK)

2) My rear wheel wells are starting to bubble. One is moderately bad, and one is hardly bad at all. Both wheel wells on the bottom lip (like where you can't really see unless you look under it kind of) are starting to bubble and/or rust through.

3) The bottom of both doors appears to have surface rust, but it isn't bubbly or flaky..it's just kind of..brown? dunno how else to explain it.

4) There are 2 extremely small spots of surface rust on the front wheel wells right in front of the doors.

So as you can see, none of it has gone through except the underside lip of the rear wheel wells..so I was hoping to try to get it done pretty decently without breaking the bank, and to be able to get some more years out of it befor having to mess with it more.

Do I just sand off the rust and spray paint it? If so, how fine does it need sanded, how far around the rust should I sand to prevent future rusting, and what kind of paint would blend the best and not rust?

Sorry if this post is long. I can get pictures tomorrow morning if they would be helpful. Thanks everyone.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:25 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1- thats just crappy dodge paint
2-cut and replace
3- prob gonna find out that it is all the way thru....jab it with a screwdriver
4- prob same as 3

Old 11-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Baddnet
Professional

only way to get rid of rust ..is to take it to clean metal...read as cut or grind...if you have bubbles..it is worse then you think.... the bottom of your doors..will be worse then you think...
When I replaced my front fenders..I was amazed how bad the lower section in front of the doors was... even though they still had paint.. the rust had ate it all down the the bottom bolt..

Old 11-26-2009, 10:00 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
1- thats just crappy dodge paint
2-cut and replace
3- prob gonna find out that it is all the way thru....jab it with a screwdriver
4- prob same as 3
I hope it isn't the entire way through.. Haven't tried poking anything through it, but have touched it with my finger/hand and it seems to be just surfaced. cut/replace as in cut out the area with the rust and weld a new piece of sheet metal in there, and then repaint it?

Originally Posted by Baddnet
only way to get rid of rust ..is to take it to clean metal...read as cut or grind...if you have bubbles..it is worse then you think.... the bottom of your doors..will be worse then you think...
When I replaced my front fenders..I was amazed how bad the lower section in front of the doors was... even though they still had paint.. the rust had ate it all down the the bottom bolt..
Do I have to do what dakota said or can I grind (hand grinder?) it down to metal and repaint?

Would pictures help? I've never done bodywork before. I have access to any tools I could need, and have a few buddys that could weld for me, but I just want to do it decently..

Old 11-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Baddnet
Professional

you can use a hand grinder on it..it will take out most of the rust pretty fast...only problem is ..most of the rust seems to start behind the panels..rust is like cancer...if you dont get rid of all it..it just keeps spreading..
Yes you can..take it down..to almost rust free..where it is solid..and prime an paint..but it wont last long..for a temp fix..like if you are selling it....But if you plan on keeping your truck..better to fix right..

Here is a nice lil article http://www.helium.com/items/685831-h...spots-on-a-car

Last edited by Baddnet; 11-26-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:57 PM
rideordie
Veteran

That was a really good write-up. Thanks for the link! Unfortunately I guess that means that it isn't surface rust like I thought (never knew that..good article)..

So..If the rust is on the other side of the panel, how do I get to it to know how much of it needs replaced?

I guess I could replace entire panels, but that would be expensive I'm sure .

This is a link near me on craigslist for replacement panels. I could maybe see doing the rocker panels for the door, and the "front fender panel", but the rear wheel archs must be very expensive, and I really can't afford to dump too much into doing this..Maybe I'll wait until it gets worse and replace it :l http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/1474388665.html

Old 11-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Baddnet
Professional

This place has panel sections..so the whole panel does not have to be replaced
http://www.ccgtruck.com/Merchant2/me...de=DT1994_2002

That is why you have to remove all the rust.. I know it sucks.. been there done that..lol..

Old 11-26-2009, 11:22 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Originally Posted by Baddnet
This place has panel sections..so the whole panel does not have to be replaced
http://www.ccgtruck.com/Merchant2/me...de=DT1994_2002

That is why you have to remove all the rust.. I know it sucks.. been there done that..lol..
$300 in panels..Ahh. Not sure what I am going to do.. I might just let it go until after winter and try to do it all at once. There's also 2 trucks newer than mine with the same color paint being parted out around here. Maybe I'll see what kind of shape their body's are in and maybe just buy a fender or two.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Baddnet
Professional

Thats how I got my cab corners... from a parts truck..Cut them out .. But just think.. New panels.. some new paint.. Makes ya smile ..when ya see other trucks of the same year..rusted..an your nice an shinny an clean...
IMHO..the easiest why is to use air flange tool..make a lip for the panel sets flush.. bond the panels..then just touch up with filler... I tried welding them. but they warp real easy..

Old 05-25-2010, 07:44 PM
tuski
Professional

I've read that you can take off the door panels and pour oil down there and it helps to prevent the rust. any one know if this helps? i'm thinking of trying it.

Quick Reply: Some body work questions