2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

passenger side wet

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:43 PM
truegent81
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default passenger side wet

so i searched for my thread i had, but couldn't find it. i also didn't wanna jack someone elses thread but i was wondering if anybody else had a wet passenger floor board in the past? i took some pics but couldn't find any reason for the floor to be wet. usually the rubber mat has condensation on the back of it. yesterday, i decided to lift of the carpet to see how wet it really was. the bottom of the carpet was pretty wet but there was no sign of leakage anywhere. the drain in the firewall is not clogged and it isnt antifreeze. it smells like ***. just mildew, moldy water. i was out of town and my truck wasn't driven for 6 days! and it isn't the entire floor that gets wet, just a 6x6 inch spot right where the feet go.

just after i pulled up the carpet to let it dry
Name:  IMG_0325.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  120.3 KB

i think if there is no leak, but that the carpet got wet in the past, it won't completely dry if there is a rubber mat sitting on top. i'm gonna try and let it dry out for a good bit.
Name:  IMG_0326.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  111.2 KB

i would like to get this leak resolved (if there is one) before i either buy a new carpet, or take this one out and pressure wash it. any ideas? appreciate it yall

Old 05-25-2010, 12:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Leave the carpet up, and the rubber mat out for a couple days, and let it air dry. (provided it doesn't rain......) having the windows open helps the process. (again, provided it doesn't rain........ or, someone steals your truck......) You can hit it with some Fabreeze to make the stinky go away.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:28 PM
beamwalker
Rookie

i have this same problem when it rains heavy...took forever to track down. mine seems to originate from the passenger side top seal of the windshield. it dribbles down the inside of the windshield , some drops onto the dash and rolls onto the floor the rest goes behind the dash and makes it's way back to the foot area. i have yet to try any fixes, but it is on that looooong list.

one thing i do is put a towel on the dash against the windshield...odd thing is that the floor stays dry but the towel is barely damp enough to account for the amount of water that would be on the floor if i didn't use the towel.

Last edited by beamwalker; 05-25-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:45 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my was the thrid brake light and the rear window seal but i dont think it your rear window seal because 94-97 are diff then the 98-02

so check your thrid brake light

Old 05-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm betting on the third brake light too. Look at yours from the side and see if it is bowed away from the truck in the center or if it is flat and tight. If it is that then you could put a smooth bead of RTV on the light itself and let it dry, then put it back on and you'll be set.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:21 PM
truegent81
Captain

i've heard that in the past. where does the third brake light and passenger floor go together? i'll go and buy some black RTV after lunch. i'll start with the brake light (its cheap to maintain anyway) but i still don't see how that affects a floor in the front? nothing else is wet, no condensation anywhere else.

thanks for the windshield tip but nothing there. i even got a new windshield put in when i bought the truck and all seals are fresh and flat. i want to rip out that rubber liner that lays at the top of the floor board. whats the point for this piece?

Old 05-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That rubber liner is to keep down the road noise I believe.
If your light is laying flat against the truck then you can probably get by with just getting a new gasket. Mine was bowed out so I had to use RTV.
The water will run across the headliner, then down the pillar and on down to the floor. Mine was running down the corner of the back window. The third brake light leaking will put water in some odd places.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:47 PM
truegent81
Captain

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
The third brake light leaking will put water in some odd places.

sounds like it, wel its something quick and easy to fix. i'm gonna run by AZ and see if i can get the gasket. i'm pretty sure mine is not bowed but if it is, than RTV.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:50 PM
beamwalker
Rookie

wow... that could actually be the source of MY leak!!!!
i should know from years of roofing that water will travel some strange routes.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:57 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

3rd brake light ... or ... stopped up or cracked seal in AC drain to firewall. poke it out with a wire.

Quick Reply: passenger side wet