2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 Dodge Ram 5.9 No Spark No Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:33 PM
pickup
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok will do thanks i am not sure what else to check on the truck do you know what the clock spring does

Old 06-26-2011, 07:39 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It's mainly for the airbag, but the horn won't work most of the time if it's bad.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:49 PM
pickup

Ok never mind i was reading on some web site that that could have somthing to do with that but it didnt make since so i am out of ops now i have replaced almost the hole system as far as i know so just to make sure i didnt miss anything heres what i got .........it all started when i changed the passenger side ex gasket i had my wife start the truck so i could listen for leaks she started and shut it off pretty qwuick i lost all spark i have checked all fuses all are good i have checked the pcd its fine i have changed the cap rotor cam and crank sensors tps and coil i have checked i have power to all the sensors for a second when i turn the key on then it dies if i turn it back off and on again i have the power for a second i plug in the computer and it reads 1 code it is code #p0123 tps/pedal postion a circuit high input so what ever that means the scanner is the obd ii pocketscan if you can think of somthing i am missing please let me know and thanks for all the responds

Old 06-26-2011, 11:11 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well since you were working in that area, make sure the ground wire on the back of the head is still attached to the firewall and check the wire harness going to the PCM for damage.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:02 AM
tweeker909
Professional

Another no start. P0123 high voltage at TPS. Lets do a PCM memory test first. Key on remove the TPS connector from the TPS. Does the CEL come on? No leave it unplugged for resistance test with key off. If Yes plug it back in and key off. Now key on again is CEL on? Next need to test resistance of the circuit. Key off unplug the TPS and the PCM C1 connector(wait atleast 2min after key off to unplug PCM). Measure resistance at the TPS connector pin 1 and 2, what do you get? Heres better test yet. Plug TPS in with key off disconnect both pcm C1 and C2 connectors and measure restistance at pin 17 to ground, what do you get? OR with key off plug PCM C2 back in and measure resistance between pin 17 and 4 at the C1 connector what do you get? During any of the test wiggle the harness why watching the meter and dont spread the terminals on the pcm connectors. I dont give the reading(or answer) it should be i want you to give me the readings you get out of your DVOM.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:57 PM
NYJohn

Hello all. Just bought a ram few months ago to start hauling some stuff around the property. Has worked out real well for as cheap as we paid for the truck. Last week the dash check engine light came on. We took the truck to the mechanic and he replaced the throttkle sensors and reset everything charged us $120 and gave us the truck back. Now over the weekend the dash lightr cam on again so we went got the code red and it is a p0123 like this fella. I have a meter so can we use these test to troubleshoot this code ? The ram is a 2000 5.9 with a auto.and runs good for the mile on it. Any thoughts on this would be great.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:36 PM
NYJohn

Was just reading some other pages and would cleaning the throttle body help any? Need to get this fixed and the light out. HELP

Old 06-27-2011, 04:02 PM
pickup

ok after talking to some more people they are telling me it is the clock sensor under the wheel would that stop me from getting spark it is a pricey part dont want to replace it if i dont have to thanks if it is i cant believe that dodge went so fare overboard with the elec sys that a sensor under the whell would shut down spark but i guess thats why i am broke and they are rich thanks for all the help guys and if anybody has info on the clock spring i would like to hear it thanks

Old 06-27-2011, 10:00 PM
NYJohn

ANYONE ? No one has any thoughts on this ?

Old 06-27-2011, 10:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,381 Likes on 3,121 Posts

Originally Posted by pickup
ok after talking to some more people they are telling me it is the clock sensor under the wheel would that stop me from getting spark it is a pricey part dont want to replace it if i dont have to thanks if it is i cant believe that dodge went so fare overboard with the elec sys that a sensor under the whell would shut down spark but i guess thats why i am broke and they are rich thanks for all the help guys and if anybody has info on the clock spring i would like to hear it thanks
Clockspring won't have anything to do with it. Would give you an airbag light though, and your horn would probably stop working.

Unless you pinched some wires between the exhaust manifold and the head, I think the timing on your no start was just coincidence. Since you replaced the TPS already, and are still getting the code, its time to trace the wiring from the tps, to the PCM. If you have a multimeter, make things easier to find...... Basically, you are looking for a short to voltage. There should be 5 volt supply, the signal return wire, and a ground at the TPS. Looks like you have a short to voltage on the return wire somewhere. I don't know if tps is one of the sensors that will trip the ASD relay though.

Quick Reply: 98 Dodge Ram 5.9 No Spark No Fuel