2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 Dodge Ram 5.9 No Spark No Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 01:41 AM
tweeker909
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NYJohn
Hello all. Just bought a ram few months ago to start hauling some stuff around the property. Has worked out real well for as cheap as we paid for the truck. Last week the dash check engine light came on. We took the truck to the mechanic and he replaced the throttkle sensors and reset everything charged us $120 and gave us the truck back. Now over the weekend the dash lightr cam on again so we went got the code red and it is a p0123 like this fella. I have a meter so can we use these test to troubleshoot this code ? The ram is a 2000 5.9 with a auto.and runs good for the mile on it. Any thoughts on this would be great.
Yes you can. In your case with a good running truck with a CEL you can bypass the memory check and not do it. All this does is determine if the PCM is losing power or not and in your case it is not. Pull out your meter and do the other checks. What do you get ?

Old 06-28-2011, 02:17 AM
NYJohn

Originally Posted by tweeker909
Yes you can. In your case with a good running truck with a CEL you can bypass the memory check and not do it. All this does is determine if the PCM is losing power or not and in your case it is not. Pull out your meter and do the other checks. What do you get ?
Thank u for the response to my help. CEL is check engine light right ? Would taking the throtte body off to clean help any ? Was thinking how would we know if the mechanic really replaced the sensor or not ? Could a new sensor go bad htis fast ? Hope we didn't get ripped off.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:27 AM
tweeker909
Professional

Yes thats what CEL means. Wont hurt anything to clean the TB just need a new gasket and some carb/brake kleen of sorts. Look at the sensor if it looks new then it is new. Factory part will have a number stamped on top. For 120 i hope he used factory. New sensor could be bad but its unlikely. Do the tests and write down the readings and post them.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:39 AM
NYJohn

Originally Posted by tweeker909
Yes thats what CEL means. Wont hurt anything to clean the TB just need a new gasket and some carb/brake kleen of sorts. Look at the sensor if it looks new then it is new. Factory part will have a number stamped on top. For 120 i hope he used factory. New sensor could be bad but its unlikely. Do the tests and write down the readings and post them.
Cool thanks a bunch. We will lok at the sensor tomorrow and get a gasket then write down any number's we find on the sensor..Mechanic said it was a dodge part from a local deler so we don't know . Be coulpe day bfore we can meter everthing is that ok to do. IS it ok to drive it will the light on like that ? Truck drves good with no change then before. Sorry for all the questions we will write down what we get.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:03 PM
NYJohn

Ok the son and i went to th dealer and got a gasket . Cleaned the heck out of the throttl body and it idles littl better . Theres alot of crud in the intake but we dont see no pooling of the oil anywere . We looked at the sensor and it does look new with a number p04882219 . Searched that and it is a dodge part . Now we both now our mechanic indeed replaced this sensor but the light is still on . We can nit take it back to him tell next week he is all booked up tell then . SO tomorrow son and i well try and troubleshoot this p0123 code with the volt meter . Want to give thanks to tweeker for his help as no one else has helped this new guy .

Old 06-28-2011, 01:10 PM
NYJohn

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Clockspring won't have anything to do with it. Would give you an airbag light though, and your horn would probably stop working.

Unless you pinched some wires between the exhaust manifold and the head, I think the timing on your no start was just coincidence. Since you replaced the TPS already, and are still getting the code, its time to trace the wiring from the tps, to the PCM. If you have a multimeter, make things easier to find...... Basically, you are looking for a short to voltage. There should be 5 volt supply, the signal return wire, and a ground at the TPS. Looks like you have a short to voltage on the return wire somewhere. I don't know if tps is one of the sensors that will trip the ASD relay though.
We to have had this sensor replaced to and the p0123 code is still there . How would we go about finding this short on the 5v supply ? Sounds like we hav the same issue as this guy but out truck runs good . Any thoughts would b helpfull .

Old 06-28-2011, 01:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,381 Likes on 3,121 Posts

You are going to have to physically inspect the harness....... which means following those wires from one end to the other. Such fun.

If you unplug the sensor, and the connectors at the PCM, you could then test resistance across the terminals in the TPS connector. If there is a short between two of the wires, it will show as zero resistance. If the harness checks out fine, may be a dead PCM.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:21 PM
pickup

but the chck engine light still comes on then off then on again doesnt that mean that the pcm is ok i am going to change out all the new parts agian this weekend with more new ones and check all the wires again thanks and keep the ideas coming in

Old 07-01-2011, 02:03 PM
pickup

ok i left the battery unhooked for the night and i checked the code again this morning and it says 0 codes nows but still no spark it was reading 1 code p0123 TPS/pedal postion a circut high input i hve zero codes now and stil no spark i still have power to all my sensors for about 1 to 2 seconds then it dies off any ideas would be great thanks

Old 07-01-2011, 02:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,381 Likes on 3,121 Posts

Power for a few seconds after you turn the key on is normal. Should be powered again once you start cranking the engine. Does the fuel pump start running when you crank?

Quick Reply: 98 Dodge Ram 5.9 No Spark No Fuel