2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bought a ram off of ebay...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 05:51 AM
Tribal_Guy4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a ram off of ebay...

I found me a decent '94 ram 2x4 Std. Cab that I picked up on ebay for a song. It was evident when I got it that it was suffering more from not being drove than any kind of abuse. It took about 20 seconds of pulling the headlight switch in and out before the headlights and the cluster lights would both come on every time. It was in need of a few things like a wheel bearing and a pitman arm, but it drives quite well now.

I am still having some issues with the drivers side front suspension area making noise. It sounds like a loud rattle whenever you go over a washboarded road, or hit bumps just right. Is there something specific that I should look for that might be the culprit? I would like to change out the idler arm also as it did not look any bettter than the pitman arm, and the noise got a lot better when the pitman arm was changed but did not go away.

Also, how common is a red interior in these trucks? I have looked at a lot of them locally and online and have seen maybe two other trucks with a red interior.

Last question for now, how hard is it to upgrde the overhead storage compartment to have the compass/temperature gauge?

Thanks in advance,

Old 06-07-2010, 08:14 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

welcome to the forum, the 94 was the 1st year of 2nd gen rams, so things are going to be diffrent..

post some picture, what motor ??miles?

Old 06-07-2010, 08:19 AM
greenmachine
All Star

Busted shock could be the noise you are hearing. I have also seen quit a few red interiors in the early 2nd Gen trucks. Was the overhead trip even an option then? If not then a bit of work to get all the parts. The temp sensor is in the front grill support. Not sure where the location of the compass gyro. It may be in the console itself. Pulling a wire harness will more than likely be required.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Tribal_Guy4

It is a 5.2 with 146,000 mile on it. According to the manual, it was available in '94

It has the typical I won't stick to crap silver paint on it. The drivers side has gray paint/primer where the previous owner at least tried to stop the rusting from taking hold. I am actually thinking of taking the pin striping off and painting the silver with some duplicolor bed coating. I did this to the hood of my old chevrolet truck, and it was fantastic for driving into the sun during the mornings. Might look pretty good if the cladding wasn't so faded.

On another note, is there anywhere where I can buy just a clutch for the A/C compressor? I have tried all the parts stores and come up empty handed. Just the coil on mine has died and it is hot around here right now.

Attached Thumbnails Bought a ram off of ebay...-2010-06-07-11.27.16.jpg  

Quick Reply: Bought a ram off of ebay...