2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stupid plenum...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got the air gap today. I have a question for everyone that has bought from Hughes, do y'all think they have an open bar at the company?
When I got my plenum plate it had gouges in it from them dragging a tool bit across it and the air gap had a few sharp edges and a couple dings in it, one looked like a bolt got hammered into it. I guess they don't realize how easy it is to ding up aluminum.
I got it all cleaned up with the dremel so I'm not worried about it but for 600$ that thing should be perfect.

I do have an install question too, it says to use thread sealant for the bypass hose inlet, does that mean blue threadlocker or Loctite 518 anaerobic sealant?

Old 06-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
I got the air gap today. I have a question for everyone that has bought from Hughes, do y'all think they have an open bar at the company?
When I got my plenum plate it had gouges in it from them dragging a tool bit across it and the air gap had a few sharp edges and a couple dings in it, one looked like a bolt got hammered into it. I guess they don't realize how easy it is to ding up aluminum.
I got it all cleaned up with the dremel so I'm not worried about it but for 600$ that thing should be perfect.

I do have an install question too, it says to use thread sealant for the bypass hose inlet, does that mean blue threadlocker or Loctite 518 anaerobic sealant?
Post up some pics of that bad boy before you install it. Top, underside, ¾-perspective. I'm serious. I want to see that thing as it is and then once it's installed, but nothing else attached, to the engine.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

I'm going to install it tomorrow. Today I'm gonna hit that rear main seal again after I take a nap. I'll get pictures for ya.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

I got the intake on but I need to run to town to get some more fuel injector o-rings. I was going to just leave the injectors in the fuel rail but I yanked one out when I pulled the rail so now I'm just going to replace all of the o-rings. I just need to finish slapping it back together. It shouldn't take too long, it only took about an hour and a half to get the old intake off.

I also used loctite 518 anaerobic gasket maker on the threads of those fittings, I figured it would be a good one to use since it needs the absence of air to cure (sounds like threads to me). Tell me if I'm wrong.

VW, I took like 60 pictures so you should be happy. And I'm not done yet, so I'll get more pictures before I'm done.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
I got the intake on but I need to run to town to get some more fuel injector o-rings. I was going to just leave the injectors in the fuel rail but I yanked one out when I pulled the rail so now I'm just going to replace all of the o-rings. I just need to finish slapping it back together. It shouldn't take too long, it only took about an hour and a half to get the old intake off.
New O-Rings are cheap insurance. Hopefully, you remember to lubricate them with light oil or the like to prevent them from tearing.

I also used loctite 518 anaerobic gasket maker on the threads of those fittings, I figured it would be a good one to use since it needs the absence of air to cure (sounds like threads to me). Tell me if I'm wrong.
You're wrong. (I dunno, it seemed like the appropriate response).

VW, I took like 60 pictures so you should be happy. And I'm not done yet, so I'll get more pictures before I'm done.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:44 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cool man lucky bastard!

Old 06-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

Call it luck if you will but my butt still hurts after paying for that thing.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:28 PM
truegent81
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for the o rings you can just use motor oil i believe. this weekend when i do my plenum thats what i plan on using is some oil from the new quarts. is this wrong?

BTW, thats some horse **** about the dings and nicks on a $600 intake! but hope it doesn't have an affect on your motor. looking forward to the pics. i love pics...

Old 06-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that's not the first I've heard of Hughes bangin up their parts before they get to you.....

Old 06-12-2010, 05:44 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-7501/ besides fuel injector bosses and the "adapter" plate for our TB... why the $600 + price tag? and they seem hit and miss with thier quality of the product when it arrives..

Quick Reply: Stupid plenum...