2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stupid plenum...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 05:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Originally Posted by truegent81
for the o rings you can just use motor oil i believe. this weekend when i do my plenum thats what i plan on using is some oil from the new quarts. is this wrong?

BTW, thats some horse **** about the dings and nicks on a $600 intake! but hope it doesn't have an affect on your motor. looking forward to the pics. i love pics...
Do NOT use petroleum based lubricants on the injector orings. They will dry out the orings, and they will leak. K-Y Jelly, or something along those lines works best.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:48 PM
truegent81
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Do NOT use petroleum based lubricants on the injector orings. They will dry out the orings, and they will leak. K-Y Jelly, or something along those lines works best.

yeah never mind i forgot someone asnwered that earlier..my bad. good call though thanks

Old 06-12-2010, 05:54 PM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

Im really dissapointed to hear your plenum blew with the ''hugh's fix''.....Does this mean its not a fix anymore?

Another YAY for airgap! Cant wait to see it done and hear back from ya!

Old 06-12-2010, 05:59 PM
truegent81
Captain

Originally Posted by DODGEPWR
Im really dissapointed to hear your plenum blew with the ''hugh's fix''.....Does this mean its not a fix anymore?

Another YAY for airgap! Cant wait to see it done and hear back from ya!

i know what you mean. im a little apprehensive about this hughes kit. all the hype and BAM...especially on sheriffs truck. he seems to be a squared away guy with his mechanics and then bad luck happens. hopefully, its just one in a million that it happens to.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:07 PM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

Originally Posted by truegent81
i know what you mean. im a little apprehensive about this hughes kit. all the hype and BAM...especially on sheriffs truck. he seems to be a squared away guy with his mechanics and then bad luck happens. hopefully, its just one in a million that it happens to.

Yea, this one in a million might just keep me from buying the kit too... The kit acually says somthing about you being able to run boost without it blowing. Well, that doesnt seem so true if his blew with an N/A engine.. Wow, Im kinda pee'd off now acually. Cause i thought i could buy the kit and install it, and have NO worries about the plenum at all. Now its just..Well ya know. Crap.

Sheriff, how did the plenum gaskets look when you removed the intake and all? Were they in fact blown?

Old 06-12-2010, 06:10 PM
truegent81
Captain

yeah i already bought the kit^^^^. im gonna look at it again and inspect the surface now that i have time. STAND BY

so i opened my box again and looked at the plate for the first time since i got it. looks smooth and clean cut. there is only one spot on the side where it looks like a flat head screwdriver went across it. the line is not a deep gash and is only an inch long. im hoping this kit holds up. well at least for another 5 years

Last edited by truegent81; 06-12-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't take the plate off yet. zman is probably right when he said that it was just from the PCV because there was a good little bit of oil in the nipple for it. It just seemed like too much oil in the intake for just a few thousand miles and made me mad enough to buy the air gap.
I just came back inside to look at the radar again, that storm is uncomfortably close.
I'm going to try to get it buttoned up right now.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:19 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Run run hurry hurry !!

Old 06-12-2010, 09:45 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oil will not dry out an injector o ring. If petroleum dried out those rings it'd be a pretty crappy match for a gasoline injector. Viton is what those are made out of, not gum rubber.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Oil will not dry out an injector o ring. If petroleum dried out those rings it'd be a pretty crappy match for a gasoline injector. Viton is what those are made out of, not gum rubber.
That's what had me perplexed, because every service manual I've ever read about FI o-rings says to lightly lubricate them with clean oil and then roll them on the injector.

Quick Reply: Stupid plenum...