2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2-wheel abs or 4-wheel abs?

Old 06-10-2010, 01:16 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-wheel abs or 4-wheel abs?

well the other day my abs light and brake light came on followed by my speedo not working. well i looked it up and have narrowed it down to either the abs sensor on the rear diff or the speed sensor on the tranny tail housing.
anyways the abs sensor is first and autozone has one for a 2-wheel anti-lock breaks for $35 and one for 4-wheel anti-lock brakes for $46 which one should i get? is there a way to find out if i have 2 or 4 wheel anti-lock brakes?

thanks guys

Old 06-10-2010, 04:12 AM
army_greywolf
Professional

sensor on the diff, that's what happens when it fails. they are pretty cheap as well, and prolly a good time to change the oil in your diff.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my dads's 99 just had this exact same thing happen, and the code that came up was for the vehicle speed sensor.... I'd look into that one before the ABS sensors. The ABS system need the VSS to work, so when it goes the abs and brake lights come on

Old 06-10-2010, 08:13 PM
2robinhood
Rookie

I have a 98 Ram 1500 and it has rear ABS only.
To see if you have four wheel ABS, the easiest way is to look at the back side of the front wheel. If there is just a brake hose, NO front ABS.
Is there is a brake hose and a wire then you have four wheel ABS.

My ABS and brake light are on and my speedo is working fine.
I'm gonna change the ABS sensor.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:24 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

well i bought the abs sensor and vehicle speed sensor today.
installed the abs and the abs light and brake light both went out and an hour later so did the check engine.
so tomorrow im probably gonna change the speed sensor just cause i already bought it.

oh yeah what kind of rear diff fluid should i use?
which brand do yall recommend?
viscosity? i live in southwest texas and it usually like 90-110 degrees everyday.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:49 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

ok so i was underneath my truck earlier and cannot find out where the vehicle speed sensor is located.
my haynes says it would be on the end of the tranny on 2wd and the end of the tcase on 4wd.
well i search all over the tcase and i dont see any sensors that resemble this one. did autozone just get me for $35 or am i blind?
i think i might just bring it back and buy some rear end lube. <--- that just sounds really funny, but cant think of anything else to call it right now.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 99dodge318
ok so i was underneath my truck earlier and cannot find out where the vehicle speed sensor is located.
my haynes says it would be on the end of the tranny on 2wd and the end of the tcase on 4wd.
well i search all over the tcase and i dont see any sensors that resemble this one. did autozone just get me for $35 or am i blind?
i think i might just bring it back and buy some rear end lube. <--- that just sounds really funny, but cant think of anything else to call it right now.
so that autozone can screw ya again?

I can't say exactly where the sensor is, but I'm headed outside now and I'll have a look on mine...

Old 06-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

I went out and had a look, but the only wires I could find are on the tailshaft of the trans, but I think they are for the OD unit. Nothing on the transfer case that I could find other than the vacuum lines. So I opened up the 01 Service Manual and found this:
Gas Engines and/or Diesel With Automatic Trans.
The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is no longer used
for any Dodge Truck.
Vehicle speed and distance covered are measured by
the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor. The sensor is mounted
to the rear axle. A signal is sent from this sensor to the
Controller Antilock Brake(CAB) computer. A signal is
then sent from the CAB to the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM) to determine vehicle speed and distance
covered. The PCM will then determine strategies for
speed control system operation.
So I went out and had a look at my rearend and it has a sensor on it so I assume this is the VSS? Dunno what year Dodge decided to go this way so I can't say much, but have a look there at least and see if it's unhooked or has broken wires first...

Old 06-12-2010, 01:56 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

no that sensor on the rear axel was called the abs sensor. but i guess they quit using the vss on the 98-up? im probably wrong cause ive only been researching this for like a day or two.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:35 AM
gettonna

Originally Posted by 2robinhood
I have a 98 Ram 1500 and it has rear ABS only.
To see if you have four wheel ABS, the easiest way is to look at the back side of the front wheel. If there is just a brake hose, NO front ABS.
Is there is a brake hose and a wire then you have four wheel ABS.

My ABS and brake light are on and my speedo is working fine.
I'm gonna change the ABS sensor.
Hi - I checked the front brakes - found no wire - so must be rear wheel abs - but I checked the back wheels, and there was no wire either - on rear wheels, is the wire not visible? The reason that I am looking is to get the correct front wheel bearing assemblies.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2-wheel abs or 4-wheel abs?