2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turning radius after installing steering dampenerer

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 08:28 AM
Hero6
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Turning radius after installing steering dampenerer

My steering dampener was the stock 1998 installed piece, I just replaced it with a new Rubicon dampener my buddy had lying around. They both appeared to be same exact size and it bolted right up, I did not make any adjustments. Now when I make a sharp left turn my turning radius is limited, but turning right is normal. What am I missing here? Could it be that the new dampener does not have the same travel and is bottoming out? Or maybe I need to adjust something?

Last edited by Hero6; 08-24-2022 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:47 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Most likely dampened is to short

Old 08-24-2022, 10:24 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 574 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Hero6
My steering dampener was the stock 1998 installed piece, I just replaced it with a new Rubicon dampener my buddy had lying around. They both appeared to be same exact size and it bolted right up, I did not make any adjustments. Now when I make a sharp left turn my turning radius is limited, but turning right is normal. What am I missing here? Could it be that the new dampener does not have the same travel and is bottoming out? Or maybe I need to adjust something?

If the damper is already partially extended, you won't have much more travel available. If the brackets are movable, shorten the travel when you turn to the left. If the right turn is now hampered, the damper is too short.

Old 08-24-2022, 06:22 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Easy way is disconnect the dampened from the tie rod. Turn left and see if it will line up with the stud. If it does it's something else, if it doesn't it's too short.

The following users liked this post:
Keith_L (08-25-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 06:47 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I just replaced it with a new Rubicon dampener my buddy had lying around. They both appeared to be same exact size
You should have compressed and extended it to see where the mounting points where or check the part #.

Old 08-25-2022, 09:54 AM
Hero6
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Easy way is disconnect the dampened from the tie rod. Turn left and see if it will line up with the stud. If it does it's something else, if it doesn't it's too short.
I will give that a look this weekend. Steering radius was fine until I installed it. They are cheap enough, if its just the wrong size, i will order one. Thanks

Old 08-25-2022, 09:58 AM
Hero6
Rookie

Originally Posted by Moparite
You should have compressed and extended it to see where the mounting points where or check the part #.
Agreed, I should have compressed and extended it, I just assumed it was the same size. Will order a new one if I cant make any easy adjustments. Thanks

Old 08-25-2022, 12:09 PM
gabbyRose
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hero6
My steering dampener was the stock 1998 installed piece, I just replaced it with a new Rubicon dampener my buddy had lying around. They both appeared to be same exact size and it bolted right up, I did not make any adjustments. Now when I make a sharp left turn my turning radius is limited, but turning right is normal. Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox What am I missing here? Could it be that the new dampener does not have the same travel and is bottoming out? Or maybe I need to adjust something?
where did u get it from

Last edited by gabbyRose; 08-25-2022 at 05:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Turning radius after installing steering dampenerer