2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 11:54 AM
ram4ever
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire recommendations

I need help with finding the best all terrain tire on the market,
Could anyone give their reviews and possible pics on the tires they choose.
I have a 01' ram 4wd, and would like to upgrade my tires.
Thanks

Old 05-04-2005, 03:11 PM
zeekxxx
Captain
Default RE: Tire recommendations

This topic comes up every week or two. Look at the posts on this first page of the forum silverdodge asked the same question. I find it easier to just scan the posts that have been up for the last few months. Youll get your question answered quicker.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:10 PM
ram4ever

You are right but the only recommendations are for mud or those who want to increase tire sizes.
I'am looking to keep my stock rims the same and turning to my fellow dodge owners who have put out the $$$ to buy all terrain tires and they use them on road and sometimes off road,but hey if everyone one this forum is tired of this question on tires (which is one of the biggest expense put on the truck) then hey so be it.[sm=chairshot.gif]

I was only asking for friendly advice.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Relax dude, zeek was just pointing out that there is already a lot of info out there in this forum on the topic, and you might not have to wait several days for our responses to get your answers. It might already be at your finger tips.

I think my tire post actually cover almost every all-terrain tire on the market. Increase in tire size doesn't really change the question since tires are available in stock sizes too.

My expereince from posing my question last week is that someone is going to tell you they like a particular tire, and someone else is going to tell you they hate the same tire. You just have to weigh the things that are important for you, and take a little chance too. That is the part that kinda sucks since tires aren't cheap.

For me, my main considerations are:
-load range (I prefer D, but might have to sacrifice with a C)
-good on the highway, but also good on snow/ice/mud, etc...
-road noise
-fit
-looks

I think your main choices will be (not in any particular order):
BFGoodrich All-Terrain TA KO
Pro Comp All Terrain
Toyo Open Country A/T
Cooper Discover S/T and A/T
Bridestone Dualers
Nitto Terra Grappler
Kuhmo Venture AT
Maxxis Bighorn
I'm sure Goodyear has something less aggressive then the MT/R

Good luck.

Old 05-04-2005, 08:05 PM
zeekxxx
Captain

By no means am I tired but with your information given I thought it best for you to read silvers post. Sometimes people pop off a question that has already been answered and I was trying to make you aware of ...... Ok Im sure we all get the point. Anyhow I'm Mickey Thompson Biased - I hate having a tire that everyone else has. Thus you will never see any BF (Butt Fuc*) Goodrich tires on my ride. Mickey thompson just made a new radial with some off road capability ....Mickey Thompson® Baja Radial MTZ Do a google search and you can find it.

Company Website..

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/

Old 05-04-2005, 09:04 PM
lowcountry
Rookie

I would recommend bridgeston duelers A/T. I had them on my Z-71 work truck. We use it for field work and the duelers tires held there own off road. Never had any problems with the tread getting caked up with mud, as long as you weren't afraid to hit the gas and clean them. On road they were quite and handled beautifully. We got plenty off life out of them too. Just my two cents. I would also stay away from anything wrangler. They are noisy, wear down extremely fast, and pricey.

About people posting topics that have been beaten to death. I might be new to the forum but I like it when people bring up old subjects. It gives us something esle to talk about and there might be some more useful information passed around. That is why we are on this forum is talk about trucks, right? Plus, I am pretty sure as far as 2nd generation rams go, everything has been covered here. If we couldn't bring up old subjects, we would of have ran out of stuff to talk about a while back. I hope I didn't offend anybody here, just my two cents.

lowcountry

Old 05-05-2005, 12:34 PM
ram4ever

Hey, I didn't mean to take out frustration on you all, but My tires are like trash and I need to replace them very soon and Silver Dodge was correct about opions:
My expereince from posing my question last week is that someone is going to tell you they like a particular tire, and someone else is going to tell you they hate the same tire. You just have to weigh the things that are important for you, and take a little chance too. That is the part that kinda sucks since tires aren't cheap.

But I really do appreciate all the pro's and con's of the opions of tires,that's what I'am looking for.
But my choices have been:
Bridgestone revo's
BF goodrich a/t ko
pro comp a/t
And now I am looking at the Mickey thompson baja mtx,or the dick cepek f.c. 2.
But again opions are appreciated and I will do some of my own homework on prices and performance
along with duribility on road/off road.
[sm=thanx.gif]

Old 05-05-2005, 01:12 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Provided I don't change my mind again, I think I am going to try the Cooper Discover S/T.

I'm not a big Toyo or Goodyear fan from past experiences, the BF Goodrich T/A KO RWL are on back order (and honestly more people were negative on them then were positive), I refuse to do business with Four Wheel Parts (they sell Pro Comp tires), and everyone else either doesn't make the size I want, or they have more of a mud tire rather then all-terrain (mudders look cool, but are usually noiser then what I want).

I'll let you know what I think of them when I get them on in a few weeks (if I don't change my mind again to some other brand).

Old 05-05-2005, 01:22 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

For me, my main considerations are:
-load range (I prefer D, but might have to sacrifice with a C)
-good on the highway, but also good on snow/ice/mud, etc...
-road noise
-fit
-looks

I think your main choices will be (not in any particular order):
BFGoodrich All-Terrain TA KO
Pro Comp All Terrain
Toyo Open Country A/T
Cooper Discover S/T and A/T
Bridestone Dualers
Nitto Terra Grappler
Kuhmo Venture AT
Maxxis Bighorn
I'm sure Goodyear has something less aggressive then the MT/R

I personally have experince with the BFG AT's, Bridgestone Dualer AT's and the Toyo Open Country A/T's

...and of those 3, the toyo's offered me the best all around performance, that being a quiet hiway ride, grippy on the trail and decent wear down milage.

...The BFG's had poor wet weather traction... I slid into a couple of intersections with all 4 tires locked up (ABS doesnt work well when all 4's are locked), they went out of balance far too often. they were pretty good off road however, but I need a good all around tire.

...the Dualer AT's... eh. they were ok but noisy on the hiway and they seemed to be ok off road.

maybe we can get some other feedback from actual users on the other tires in this thread...

Old 05-05-2005, 01:29 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats wrong with Toyo's I have never used there AT's or MT's but I have heard a lot of good about them and use there high preformance tires on my car and love them. Posibly the best I have used.

Quick Reply: Tire recommendations