2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C recharge how to?

Old 07-30-2010, 04:04 PM
exceldetail
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C recharge how to?

I have a 99 Cuad Cab, 5.2L, whos A/C went out last year (Dont ask why or how, as I dont know). It appears the compressor is still operational. I was wondering if a 1st step repair would/could be the recharge systems that you can find at Pep Boys or Auto Zone, even Walmart for about $25.00?
And if so, I have no idea where to plug it ! Any advice much appreciated!
105k on her, still chuggin along strong!

Old 07-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Annihilator_X9
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would LOVE to know this since mine needs to be recharged.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

If the compressor cycles with the engine at idle, you are probably just low on charge.

Grab one of the cans with the Gauge from the parts store. The fitting you are looking for is on the line in the front of the truck, beside the radiator, on the passenger side. The recharge kit will have a hose with a coupler that will go on there. Start the truck, hook up the hose, have a look at the gauge, while the compressor is RUNNING. That is the pressure you want to pay attention to. There will be a chart on the can (or, on the instructions that come with it.....) that will tell you what the pressure should be, relative to ambient temperature. Pull the trigger to fill the system while the compressor is running, and get it to the recommended pressure. Should be golden. Its easy.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:18 PM
FarmBoy428
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If the compressor cycles with the engine at idle, you are probably just low on charge.

Grab one of the cans with the Gauge from the parts store. The fitting you are looking for is on the line in the front of the truck, beside the radiator, on the passenger side. The recharge kit will have a hose with a coupler that will go on there. Start the truck, hook up the hose, have a look at the gauge, while the compressor is RUNNING. That is the pressure you want to pay attention to. There will be a chart on the can (or, on the instructions that come with it.....) that will tell you what the pressure should be, relative to ambient temperature. Pull the trigger to fill the system while the compressor is running, and get it to the recommended pressure. Should be golden. Its easy.

ALSO MAKE SURE YOUR A/C IS ON THE COLDEST SETTING AT FULL BLAST, AND SHAKE THE CAN UNTILL COMPLETELY INTO THE SYSTEM.

Just helping you out, u kinda forgot some things

Old 07-30-2010, 06:46 PM
exceldetail

Ah, one last thing. What refrigerant type to I get for a 99?

Old 07-30-2010, 07:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

R134a

Old 07-30-2010, 07:11 PM
exceldetail

Isnt the r134a for newer cars?

Old 07-30-2010, 07:36 PM
SplatSTi
Professional

OK I did this just last week.

My compressor was not running, the pressure was too low. When you plug in and release the gas, remember to keep it upside down. The pipe that goes around the wheel well will get cold if your doing it right.

When it starts coming in the compressor will start up and then shut down in spurts. This will continue till it is full.

Note: while it is cycling, it sill suck the gas out of the can, the pressure will go from high to low and then stop, then it will start again, when I did it, it did it about 10 times. You pretty much keep going till the compressor continuously runs without stopping. With mine, it started to do this once the can was completely empty.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Isnt the r134a for newer cars?
Technically, your truck IS a 'newer' car......

There should be a label under the hood somewhere, or, on the compressor itself, that states what refrigerant you should use. Bear in mind, that the 'old' stuff, R12, is no longer available. If your truck wants R12, you are going to have to convert it to R134a.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:42 PM
exceldetail

Excellent guys, thank you so very much. I hope its as easy as recharging. It worked fine for 10 years, then last summer decided to go from super cool, to warm, to nothing.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C recharge how to?