2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Magnaflow Hi Flow Cat/Straight Pipe Q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 02:10 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow Hi Flow Cat/Straight Pipe Q's

Okie dokie, so after the truck is painted and stuff. The next two things on the agenda will be to take the 20% tint off and put 5% on the truck, The other is to re-do the exhaust.

So I am going to buy a Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cat. And then I WAS thinking of putting in a Y then dual straight out to a 45 behind each tire.

However.
I was just curious what would be the difference in sound from doing the setup I just listed versus doing TWO Hi-Flow Cat's and straight pipes off each cat? Will there be a large noticeable difference in sound?

I would be running 2.50'' exhaust to 4'' tips.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:23 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by LegendKiller89
Okie dokie, so after the truck is painted and stuff. The next two things on the agenda will be to take the 20% tint off and put 5% on the truck, The other is to re-do the exhaust.

So I am going to buy a Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cat. And then I WAS thinking of putting in a Y then dual straight out to a 45 behind each tire.

However.
I was just curious what would be the difference in sound from doing the setup I just listed versus doing TWO Hi-Flow Cat's and straight pipes off each cat? Will there be a large noticeable difference in sound?

I would be running 2.50'' exhaust to 4'' tips.
The second option is more of a pain, more money, for basically the same result. You might want to consider adding a muffler too. I personally prefer exhaust tone over noise. You can always do your first suggestion and add a muffler if you don't like it later on. Just something to consider. Otherwise it sounds like your on the right track.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:02 PM
CSXfan
All Star

No real difference except money, and you might have to get a little creative with the o2 sensors. And like pcfixerpro said, I'd get a muffler, even if it's just a glasspack or something. I had a single straight pipe and a high flow cat on my truck for a week and hated it. The drone inside the cab was unbearable and it didn't sound good outside. The cops weren't a fan of it either.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:04 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ya it will be alot louder i would put out the back or at a angle, to close to the cab your going to get annoyed sometimes

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Hi Flow Cat/Straight Pipe Q's