2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HVAC box seals

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 02:57 PM
Big Green 360
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HVAC box seals

I am replacing the heater core in my '98 360 magnum. I have removed the HVAC housing (aka. heater A/C housing, HVAC box, heater box, heater core box, etc.) and dismantled it. All the thin, adhesive-backed foam seals inside the box have deteriorated and or become soaked with coolant and fallen off.

Does anybody know where I can find a kit of the thin foam seals to refurbish my HVAC housing to OE spec? I have called MoparOne, O'Reilley's, and half a dozen other auto parts stores, and nobody seems to know anything, even though I have found the HVAC seal kits for newer gen Rams at MoparOne.

Please don't suggest that I go buy weatherstripping from Home Depot. Weatherstripping is made of black or gray closed-cell foam that is too dense (and too thick) for this application and will not allow the blend door to close completely among other things. I need the thin, adhesive backed, straw-colored, easily compressible open-cell foam that they used when they put it together at the factory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:25 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Buy adhesive backed foam sheet (or tape) and cut to fit.

Places like hobby shops, craft shops, Amazon, eBay, packaging retailers, and industrial supply stores are the first to come to mind.
You could also try acoustical foam sheet, or upholstery foam sheet (I think you can get 1/8" with a cloth backing for strength).

There was a thread by a member here redoing his HVAV seals.

Last edited by Spillage; 09-15-2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:19 PM
Big Green 360
Rookie

Thank you for the tip! I'll try the two hobby stores in my area. I searched the forum for threads about redoing the seals, but was unable to find it.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:54 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Hobby shops should have it for R/C receiver padding.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:04 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I'd stay away from cheaply made foam or you will have the same issue in a few years like the originals. I replaced mine with closed cell neoprene sponge rubber. It's a bit tricky to get the correct size and compressibility but it's superior to foam.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:15 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Moparite
I'd stay away from cheaply made foam or you will have the same issue in a few years like the originals. I replaced mine with closed cell neoprene sponge rubber. It's a bit tricky to get the correct size and compressibility but it's superior to foam.
I'm inclined to agree, but the OP has ruled that out as not being his preference.
Acoustical foam supply places are likely to have a big variety of different foam sheet types and thicknesses.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:30 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Try the Foam Factory http://www.foambymail.com/ ... lots of stuff there.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:22 PM
Big Green 360
Rookie

Thanks for the help, fellas. Moparite, I can see where neoprene would be superior to open cell foam, just didn't know where to get the right thickness and compressibility. Would you mind telling me where to get the same stuff you used and how you applied it?

Old 09-17-2015, 01:53 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Well i got mine from work, They used it to make seals/gaskets that sort of thing. They had rolls of the stuff! I would suggest looking for someone who sell it locally. If not that get a detailed info on what you will need as far as thickness size etc... and see if you can find someone on line that will sell you what you need.

Quick Reply: HVAC box seals