2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HP Mod sugestions

Old 09-25-2010, 02:54 PM
RedRam124
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP Mod sugestions

Hey guys! I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport, 4x4, ext cab with the 5.2 v8. I got it this past spring and im ready to do some mods this fall. Im looking for sugestions! Id prefer them to be somewhat simple because this is my only vehicle, i can go without it for a few days at a time, but im staying away from bore kits and such. Cam, intake, exhaust, turbos, computer chips, anything you guys can suggest would be great! Also i plan on putting a 3" lift kit on, so it will be a lifted truck if that makes a difference. Im looking to beef the 318 as much as possible for around $2,000. Thanks guys! Let the sugestions begin!

Old 09-25-2010, 03:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,166 Likes on 2,920 Posts

Harland Sharp 1.7 ratio Roller Rockers.

SCT tuner from hemifever.

Headers, and free flowing exhaust. (including cat, if you need to keep it, which, in lansing, I don't think you do.)

Fastman 50mm throttle body.

E-Fan conversion. (doesn't produce any horsepower in and of itself, just frees up the engine from having to USE power to turn that honkin' fan.)

Some manner of 'cold' air induction. The spectre CAI seems fairly popular, and is more reasonably priced than others.

Transmission cooler. (I know, not really going to get you any more performance, BUT, it WILL help your trans live longer with the larger tires that are highly likely to go along with that lift. )

Best mod for a lifted truck with larger tires? Gears. Of course, that would eat the majority of your budget..... especially if you don't install them yourself. (which is not a small undertaking.....)

Make sure EVERYTHING is up to snuff before you start modding though. Complete tune up, make sure the plenum isn't blown, etc.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:13 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$2000:

1. SCT tuner from Hemifever with Hughes plenum kit and 180* thermostat and 50mm fastman
2. EQ monster magnum heads (2.02 valves)
3. 1.7 RRs
4. JBA titanium ceramic coated headers
5. tune up (cap, rotor, plugs wires)

that is slightly over 2000, like 2650.

If i were you, I would do this:

1. Plenum fix, 180*, 1.7RRs, 50MM fastman and SCT
--see how you like that. should hold you over for a while
2. JBA headers
--Again, see how you like that
3. Heads

Saving the most expensive for last.

That is what I am doing. So far, I only want to get heads, but that is not until next spring.

Go slow. Less to mess up when you are tackling too much. Plus, my truck has great power and i don't have heads/cam. I just want to get the heads so I can get a custom tune, instead of the canned tunes i got for the SCT.

--Dan

Old 09-25-2010, 04:18 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seen that you have a 5.2 i would do this for free
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...or-man-tb.html

and there yes on the thing posted above

Old 09-25-2010, 09:20 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'll put my suggestions up in order
1. Gears- Will help save the tranny and make them bigger tires feel like their stock size, but its expensive especially when you have to do front and back, about 600-700 in parts and the same in labor, so if you want to tackle it or know a friend its not too bad
2. Intake-CAI preferably
3. Exhaust- dont have to go all out simple swap to a high flow cat or no cat and a decent muffler
4. SCT from hemifever

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HP Mod sugestions