2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

95 Ram won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:59 PM
jbailey86
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Ram won't start

Hi guys, new to the forum. I have a 95 Dodge ram 2500 3/4 ton 4x4 that won't start and was wondering if anyone could help me. The details: Long story short, I believe the truck ran out of gas while my wife was going to the gas station. I put gas in it and it wouldn't start. I heard the fuel pump kick on so I assumed it was good. I went ahead and changed the plugs and wires and it still wouldn't start. After getting fed up I just went ahead and replaced the fuel pump. Truck still would only crank, but it wouldn't turn over. To say the least, after talking to people I changed the distributor, rotor button, and the crankshaft position sensor which was a pain. The check engine light comes on when trying to start it, but it won't crank over. I had the codes checked and their is no codes. Just reads 55. Theres fuel to the fuel rail also. One other thing, I spray ether in the carb and it still won't fire up. I have spark to the plugs and it will crank all day, but it won't start.

Can someone please help me and maybe point me in the right direction to get this fixed. Before the gas thing it started up everytime on the first turn of the key.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:09 PM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you opened your cap, check the orientation of the manshaft sensor ring. If your injectors hit while cranking, then it is okay. I would not recommend changing the crank sensor IF YOU WERE GETTING SPARK, but maybe you weren't. There is a relay fuse in the front pod that is part of the ignition as well.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:15 PM
jbailey86

It was getting spark, but I changed the crankshaft sensor anyways. I'm lost. It cranks over just fine just won't fire even when I spray starting fluid in it. I switched the relays around the fuel pump relay and the asd relay and it still wouldn't start. Someone was saying the ignition coil, but it's getting spark. Another think I heard is the transmission Temp sensor? Why would this not let it fire up? BTW I appreciate you trying to help me.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:28 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just because you can hear the pump does not mean it's pumping. You need to get a fuel pressure gauge and test it.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:01 PM
jbailey86

Ok i'll do that tomorrow. One question I have then is wouldn't it fire up with starting fluid even if the pump wasn't working?

Old 10-21-2010, 11:16 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if it won't start with a generous spray of starting fluid, then something is bad wrong. starting fluid should overcome any fuel related problem at all, including no pressure, no fuel, stopped up lines, bad injectors, and/or asd shutdown of fuel pump, and no power to pump.

you can check fuel pressure in a technical manner with a gauge. you can also press the little schrader valve thing and if gas squirts into your face, then your fuel pressure is enough to crank it.

and you say you've got spark on the spark plugs ? nice and blue, or maybe weak. could be a weak coil.

are you getting any backfire or popping ? that might indicate a timing problem, which might indicate crossed plug wires, or bad cam position sensor (aka secondary coil pickup).

are you sure the wife ran out of gas, or could the truck have just "shut down" and its still in the same condition, only with a lot of new parts you've put on.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:25 AM
jbailey86

I'm assuming it was out of gas because it was dead on E when I went to pick her up. The spark was a little weak, but I didn't think it was that bad. Theres no popping or anything it just cranks but won't turn over. I'm going to try the ignition coil and hopefully that works. If it doesn't I'm at a loss. The code I get is a 12 and then a 55. 12 is for the battery 55 is the end of the codes from what I hear. Would my computer or pcm be bad if I'm getting codes? I'm sorry for all of the questions but I'm not a mechanic. I've just been researching on the computer and I bought a book on the truck I've been reading a been doing all the work myself. Any help from anyone is greatly appreciated. Thanks for everyone who is giving me input.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:03 PM
MaxPower1971
Professional

You had the cap off and didnt change the camshaft position sensor? Did you maybe pull the wires on it?? or jammed them under the cap and cut em?

When you did your crankshaft position sensor, was the negative to the batery disconnected? Doing so prevents burning your new sensor, and also resets the PCM.

As DHVAUGHAN wrote, if it does not fire up with Quick Start or a little gas in the TB, it points to weak or no spark.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:06 PM
MaxPower1971
Professional

Originally Posted by dhvaughan

are you sure the wife ran out of gas, or could the truck have just "shut down" and its still in the same condition, only with a lot of new parts you've put on.

Lollllllll....MMMMMMMMMM wives and dead truck with new parts....aglaglaglaglagl ( Sorry for the Homer Simpson impression lol)

Old 11-06-2010, 10:24 PM
tralay
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you ever find out what the problem was? I'm having the same exact problem.

The following users liked this post:
ballzy67 (06-13-2021)

Quick Reply: 95 Ram won't start