2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My "Rock Solid" Ram Steering Upgrade Experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 04:53 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone noticed that switching back and forth from a normal offset rim to a radical offset rim (sticking out of wheels well) of wheels makes a diff of wondering around? seemed to make a diff for me, (stock, normal/better ride) offset rims seems to wonder more ......

Old 12-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Hans_GZP
Veteran

I just placed my order so my gf would stop complaining about the steering on the truck. Thanks for offering this product for us Ram owners.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:26 PM
OLE BLUE97
Professional

is there a point when this fix wouldnt work? a point when your steering wanders too much to fix?

Old 12-07-2010, 11:27 PM
willstruck
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, I'll have to remember to order one of these. SOmeone had posted instructions on here on how to tighten up the steering box, I"m gonna try that out first, then get one of these kits.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:21 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RamSteeringFix Guy
EndIsNear:

I'm David Alan, the one who offers the Rock Solid Ram Steering Fix Kit, and one of y'all who ordered recently gave me the link to check out the site.

So, I took the liberty to join, so I could be of what help I may in answering any questions that arise about our Ram truck steering column related wandering / play / clunk or rattling noise issues.

I'm happy to answer how our kit fixes this congenital Ram truck Steering Column weakness - and as I've talked first hand to many Ram truck owners in the 5 years we've offered this upgrade approach, I'm also able to tell your if your steering problem lies in another area:

The steering system can be imprecise for a variety of underlying causes - worn steering knuckles, bad control arm bushings, worn track bar (4x4), stabilizer bar, bad or out of adjustment steering box, worn (or seized !) intermediate steering shaft, or lastly and usually least suspected, the Steering Column itself.

I'll post some pics to help show the column parts before & after install.

They show the manual tranny column, but aside from the shifter mechanism particulars, the Principle is the same.

For an 'after' pic on the auto column, refer3ence the pic EndisNear posted.

Best Regards,

David Alan / www.RockSolidRamTruckSteering.com
Any chance you could give us DF members a discount? Maybe free shipping or $10 off...Anything?

Old 12-08-2010, 02:23 AM
Gaius
Veteran

Here's the factory TSB on adjusting the gear box: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1997/19-10-97.htm

Old 12-08-2010, 11:23 AM
RamSteeringFix Guy
Thumbs up Back to you on column fix issues....thanks David....

Originally Posted by OLE BLUE97
is there a point when this fix wouldnt work? a point when your steering wanders too much to fix?
Hello guys:

If I can try to address the questions posed.

I agree, overly wide tires make the steering 'twitchy' - no question about it. It's simple geometry. Overly wide rims sticking way out are usually a 'trendy look', far more than any functional improvement. Keeping to the stock dimensions (or if going larger, at least the stock tire 'height / width' ratio) is the best bet to not make steering overly affected with either over / under sensitivity.

On the limits of what our upgrade kit can accomplish, keep in mind that the steering is a system, so all parts must be 'checked & spec'd'.

For example, if you have two weak spots, and really 'fix' one of them perfectly, that other weak spot will become more pronounced.

(Somewhat akin to making a great marriage - I get one area of challenge conquered, and then my Dear Wife will be happy to point out other areas of needed improvment !!)

So, we keep going until all the weak spots are checked, adjusted, fixed or upgraded.

I like to think of the steering system as two areas:

1) "Input to the Steering Box"

&

2) "Output from the Steering Box"

To answer your question,

yes, our kit has limits on what it can do: it fixes an problems originating in area # 1 - Input to the Steering Box (# 2 is separate area, mechanically speaking)

&

No, any wandering can be fixed, as long as the root causes are located & addressed.

I ask: is the wandering caused by control input issues, or by suspension / steering / tire geometry issues ? (again, area # 1 or 2)

A lot can be learned by careful observation:

A road test is needed to verify area # 2 issues.

A static driveway test (hood up, engine on or off, watching steering component movement) is usually more helpful for area # 1 concerns.

Some tips for discerning if it's a column issue:

Try having a friend gently turn the steering wheel, while you observe the movements beginning at the column end (firewall engine side).

Watch the little spring encircles the shaft, (just above the sliding intermediate shaft upper u-joint connects), and note if it subtly moves perfectly rotational, or if it moves sideways a bit before you see / feel the front tires move.

(I like to use the side of my foot to sense the tire movement, while watching this. Having your 'steering helper friend' move very slowly will make the movements more visible. You might try it with engine off or on. Off it will be quieter, but no powersteering assist....)

When the lower column bushing is shot - that spring is pushing up on the parts that are 'up inside' the column - there will be some significant play - that is what you are trying to determine.

You may also grab that spring and try to push / pull it sideways a bit - the more play / movement that is felt - indicates how far worn out the OEM lower column bushing is.

I've had guys tell me they could push the spring readily 1/4 - 1/2" in any direction - and, no surprise, they had a full 1-2" of play on either side of center at the wheel.

Talk about column induced steering imprecision !

Some Ram Trucks may also have column 'noise', in addition to play / wander.

Sometimes a clunking or rattling sound is heard from the steering wheel, or also felt in the pedal area.

This is due to road vibrations making the loose inner steering shaft clunk within the column shell - and the pedal area is immediately adjacent to the bad bearing, when enough play occurs, the clunk is felt down there, too.

Our kit upgrades the precision with which the column operates, so both play & noise are eliminated.

Another thing: On my '97 4x4 CTD 2500, when I pulled myself into the seat for the first time upon testing, I noted that they steering wheel didn't budge a fraction of an inch - for a nice change the wheel felt solid & stable, compared to before.

Hope some of this is helpful for y'all.......Merry Christmas !

David / RamSteeringFix Guy

www.RockSolidRamTruckSteering.com

Old 12-08-2010, 10:39 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Glad you could join the site David I've been spreading the word of my success everywhere. Hope to hear something about the discussion board you had mentioned before.

David P.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:51 AM
RamSteeringFix Guy
Thumbs up Back to you....thanks, David

Originally Posted by EndIsNear
Glad you could join the site David I've been spreading the word of my success everywhere. Hope to hear something about the discussion board you had mentioned before.

David P.
Hey there David (another one of us !) thank you for the warm welcome.

Glad to be here - at last.

Would you be the enthusiastic one who emailed me with your testimonial 3 or 4 weeks ago ?

In any case, thanks, it was good to read your write up you gave earlier - our aim is to be sure the Rock Solid Ram Truck Steering Fix works well, so that satisfied guys tell others, so they can get the help, if their Ram trucks truly need it.

Wasn't sure when you said:

Hope to hear something about the discussion board you had mentioned before.....

You're referring to ......?

Old 12-10-2010, 11:56 AM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RamSteeringFix Guy
Hey there David (another one of us !) thank you for the warm welcome.

Glad to be here - at last.

Would you be the enthusiastic one who emailed me with your testimonial 3 or 4 weeks ago ?

In any case, thanks, it was good to read your write up you gave earlier - our aim is to be sure the Rock Solid Ram Truck Steering Fix works well, so that satisfied guys tell others, so they can get the help, if their Ram trucks truly need it.

Wasn't sure when you said:

Hope to hear something about the discussion board you had mentioned before.....

You're referring to ......?

Yep, that was me. I guess I misunderstood your email before. I had the mindset you were starting a discussion forum about your product lol.

Quick Reply: My "Rock Solid" Ram Steering Upgrade Experience