2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My "Rock Solid" Ram Steering Upgrade Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:09 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRedRam95
I got a kit for my truck for Christmas. What is the easiest way to install the kit? How hard will it to be with to column in the truck?
I did it with the column in the truck. Not hard, just a little tight working space. With the column in the truck, the two hardest parts are removing the factory locking ring, which I broke with pliers to remove, and hammering the new bushing in. All in all, its a simple swap and the directions describe everything exactly.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:17 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, i know what I am buying in a few months. I have had that page bookmarked for a year.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:34 PM
RamSteeringFix Guy

EndisNear / CPTAFW163:

Hello there guys ! Just 'reading the mail' here...

EndisNear, I appreciate you helping out with your experience, to encourage others & share what you know.

I'll also be making an effort to monitor the thread here, to make sure any questions about our Rock Solid Ram Steering Fix are answered promptly.

(Of course, I can only respond so long as those questions are posted to this particular thread, as I am subscribed and get email updates to my phone.)

Happy New Year 2011 !

At your Service,

David / RamSteeringFix Guy

Old 01-09-2011, 04:58 AM
Activate
Professional

Dou you have some pics how to do it on a Automatic?

Thanks and greetings,

Erik.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:04 PM
RamSteeringFix Guy
Thumbs up Back to you Eric...thanks David.

Originally Posted by Activate
Dou you have some pics how to do it on a Automatic?

Thanks and greetings,

Erik.
Hi Erik: Greetings & happy new year 2011 !

Yes, please refer to the pics in 'EndisNear's (thread discussion starter) first posts, esp the pic in his post # 5 - that is what it looks like finished on any auto - take a look under your hood for the 'before' view. (ha ha just kinda being funny....)

If you see my post # 10, you can see more detail pictures.

The only difference between auto or manual tranny columns is the physical size of bushings, but the OEM parts that are removed & discarded are the same - varying only slightly in size.

So the pics in post # 10 show essentially what you'll see upon the upgrade.

(there are limitations of # of of pics we can post on this site)

Our kit instructions have over a dozen colors pictures to make it all very clear.

The kit price is less than an hour's labor charge at most automotive shops, so we endeavor to provide this upgrade at the most reasonable price.

Dodge refuses to sell anything less than the whole column, for about $ 900 average.

Considering our kit fixes the inherent problem with the Ram column at less than 10 % of the cost of a new column, to those with ****ling play / wander problems or funny column noises - [described variously as rattle, pop or clunk over bumps, rough pavement or joints] - it's availability has been described by users as a 'Godsend' and 'the largest increase in steering precision for the least money of any steering part'.

Hope this is of help to you & others !

David Alan / RamSteeringFix Guy

Old 03-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Randy_W
Professional

These fixes are great info and thanks everyone for posting them, David, that little gem of yours is great for $60, I gotta get one!
Just want to bring up a very simple thing will cure a lot of twitchy or wondering steering on trucks, especially with bigger tires. If you aren't a serious sand player or some such where you need the tow out to grab traction, try towing your tires in just a bit, often 1/16" will be enough to make you go straight down the road. Don't over do it and be prepared for a couple of tries to get it where you like it. I've done this to a bunch of trucks, it's extremely effective on solid axles but works on IFS as well. Of course, as David says, none of these bandaids is meant to cover for worn parts.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have this kit sitting in my garage pending install. I'll let you all know how it works out for me when I do.

EndIsNear, would you recommend doing it with the column in, or would you take it out if you had to do it again?

Old 03-07-2011, 11:29 AM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
I have this kit sitting in my garage pending install. I'll let you all know how it works out for me when I do.

EndIsNear, would you recommend doing it with the column in, or would you take it out if you had to do it again?
Do it with the column in. its a little tight, but youll be fine. The hardest parts are removing the old retainer, and installing the new one because of lack of space. But its not difficult to do

Old 03-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great, thanks.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:00 PM
RamSteeringFix Guy
Thumbs up Silver Dodge...ever get your column rebuild done ?

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge

Silver Dodge:

I just noted your post & question.

Checking to see if you got the column lower bearing rebuild done already ?

If you've not yet done it,, consider that attempting it 'on truck' is much simpler.

You can always decide later on to pull the column out entirely, if space is too confining.

But trying it 'on truck' may be all you need. Probably 85 %, I estimate, are done in that manner.

Best Regards,

David

Quick Reply: My "Rock Solid" Ram Steering Upgrade Experience