2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck in Water Opinions wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:25 PM
isadream
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck in Water Opinions wanted!

Hi, We have a 1995 dodge ram extended cab with the 5.9 motor and lasat week hubby went into a very deep ditch with it. It was pouring rain and flooding really bad. Not sure how deep the water got up into the truck but it did get into the cab and motor area. Only the bumber is damaged and the front passenger side quarter panel.

We checked the oil and no sign of water in the oil, there does appear to be water in the transmission. NO one has started the truck yet. It was towed to the shop. When we opened the doors all the dome lights worked, electric windows worked and electric seat worked.

Since it is a 1995 they want to total it out and of course my hubby wants the truck back.

They are saying since it was in the water it will be nothing put problems with the truck--I have also been told that if he gets it back and drops the pan for the trans and cleans that out that the truck should be fine.

What do you guys all think? I do NOT want to bring it home if its no good and cannot be used at some point but if its only being totaled because of its age and if it can be used again I would love to keep it.

If anyone wants to see pics I can try to post them or email them to you.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Renee

Old 12-06-2010, 08:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Truck swimming? Yeah, familiar with that sport...... My street flooded at one time, long ago..... and my car at the time was up to the hood in water... Didn't get any in the engine or trans, but, the interior smelled horrid for a while.

If the engine oil is clean, pull the plugs, and crank the motor, see if the engine ingested any water. If it did.... run a compression test. Water doesn't compress, so, if the engine sucked any in, broken parts are pretty much assured.

if the trans doesn't show signs of water contamination in the fluid, it is probably ok.

Check both axles (if its a 4x4, just the rear if not.....) and transfer case as well. (if equipped.) Even if those did get water in them, pull the cover, clean 'em out, put it back together, refill with clean fluid, and you are down the road.

Upload pics to someplace like photobucket, or imageshack, and then post them in this thread. Either place will give you a link to copy/paste, with the right tags included. (image tags, so, we will see pics, and not just links.)

I have taken many vehicles swimming in the past, some, in water that was deep enough that it was lapping up over the hood as I was moving thru it. (yes, I got wet......) Afterwards, after verifying fluids were good, I drove it 600 miles home. Never had any problems from it.

Basically, if the engine isn't damaged, and everything works as it should, buy the truck back from the insurance company, use some of the settlement money to repair the body damage, and call it good.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:04 PM
willstruck
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend just ended out with his truck in the ocean... long story, trying to pull someone out as the tide came in. Anyway, because of the salt water, he pressure washed the entire thing out. He's got heaters all over it, drying it out the best he can. There is water in the oil, as well as the tranny, front and rear axles, and anything else. He's going to drain every fluid there is, flush out the reservoirs, and fill it all back up. The only thing we're worried about is the computer, but I bet he could pick one up from a jy.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Pacmanloads
Captain

Well I have experienced this unfortunately with my 95 . I didn't drive it...got it towed home and then dropped the pan , flushed the transmission and changed the filter.....it did it no good as the transmission was old and the water was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back . $2600 in the transmission guys pocket and I have a truck that moves again. Maybe you can get lucky by getting the water out as soon as possible as some have said they have done. Good luck !

I was too angry at the time to take any pictures but there was water up to the hump inside the cab and I had to climb out the window to get out as the mud and water was about 3" under the drivers side door . Mind you I also have 5" suspension lift and 3" body lift . I'm kicking myself for not taking any pictures now because only the people there believe me . That said the engine was fine but my driveshaft and exhaust was a total write off from the trashing it took .

Last edited by Pacmanloads; 12-06-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:35 PM
grox
Veteran

If the insurance company gives you a good offer, take it and buy another truck.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by grox
If the insurance company gives you a good offer, take it and buy another truck.
Not gonna get a hell of a lot for a 95. And anything you pick up used is going to be just that. Used. At least with this one, they know all the issues and quircks. Not so with a used vehicle purchase. (don't I know that all too well.....)

Repairs will be less than what they get from the insurance company, even after deducting the buy-back value. (generally a few hundred dollars.....) If done right, can get the truck back, (albeit, with a salvage title) get it repaired, and back on the road, and STILL have some cash in their pocket.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:57 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if the engine didn't break, then the water won't hurt it.
water won't hurt the t-case or axles.

if the transmission just got some water in the vent, and didn't pump the water through it, and you get it out ASAP, it might not hurt it. if there is water in there, you need to get it out quick - like yesterday.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:24 PM
isadream

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
if the engine didn't break, then the water won't hurt it.
water won't hurt the t-case or axles.

if the transmission just got some water in the vent, and didn't pump the water through it, and you get it out ASAP, it might not hurt it. if there is water in there, you need to get it out quick - like yesterday.
Well the insurance company is jacking us around--we still do not have possession of the truck. It is still at the carlot. Hubby and his friend are going to get it asap as soon as we can. It happened a week ago and we are not sure they are going to total it but they keep saying more then likely. The truck has all new ball joint, brakes, tires, battery and I do not know what else hubby did to it. We have owned it since 2001.

I did find a dodge 2500- 1998 cummimgs with 175k miles rebuilt trans. Other then that---we are in a mess without the truck! Here are some pics of it I hope!

Old 12-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe that you actually had full coverage on a '95. Even if they total it (they probably will if tranny is shot) you may still be able to buy it back from them.

If there is water in the trans you may be too late if it has sat. Water causes the friction material to delaminate from the steel used to support the frictions. The longer the water is in the tranny the worse it will be.

Otherwise change every fluid possibly more than once if there is still water in it.

By the way its CUMMINS, no g.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:54 PM
isadream

Originally Posted by Gerehead8
I can't believe that you actually had full coverage on a '95. Even if they total it (they probably will if tranny is shot) you may still be able to buy it back from them.

If there is water in the trans you may be too late if it has sat. Water causes the friction material to delaminate from the steel used to support the frictions. The longer the water is in the tranny the worse it will be.

Otherwise change every fluid possibly more than once if there is still water in it.

By the way its CUMMINS, no g.
Ah ok so should I get the CUMMINS?? Is that a good truck?

And as for having the full coverage--here is the story on it-I almost dropped it a few months ago but it only costs me $10 a month and that is with all my deductibles set at $250---soooo I figured $10 a month was worth it. I didnt save enough to make it worth while to drop the coverage. I have full coverage on a 1997 jeep grand cherokee for the same reason. It is really cheap!

I am thinking now that I am very glad I did not drop the full coverage back a few months ago!!

Quick Reply: Truck in Water Opinions wanted!