2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Detailing and Cleaning
Print Wikipost

How can I wash the engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 05:03 PM
diehardjohndeer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I wash the engine bay?

I was told I should be able to just wash it like everything else.Saturday night at the car wash I sprayed engine cleaner on the engine and started using the low pressure rinse so I wouldnt hurt anything.And 30 seconds later my truck died.Thankfully it started back in about 5 minutes.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:16 PM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

You need to cover the Battery, Alternator, Distributor, PCM, and Air Cleaner (If you have the 14x3 open element).

What I did, was took a scrub brush and some commet and cleaned the fenderwells and firewall really well, and just used a low pressure hose to rinse it all off, and then use your favorite degreaser on your engine, try not to directly spray electrical connections, and you should be good to go. Once you clean it really good the first time, its a breeze to keep clean after that.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just avoid spraying directly on the PCM, the air cleaner (I have a round filter), the fuse block, any electric clip or sensor connection, and the distributor. Never had any problems, and I wash my engine almost everytime I wash my truck.

Everything else, can handle water pretty well. I never cover the battery or alternator. My alternator gets water on it just from driving through puddles, and it gets completely drenched when I hit the mud. It can handle it. Same for the battery. On the ranch, most of the older tractors have the battery just out in the open. They get rained on, snowed on, you name it. They are fine.

Definetly is easier to keep clean once you get it done the first time.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:44 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

im not going to lie, i sprayed engine degreaser through my whole engine bay, and sprayed everything (while running) never puttered or ran rough.....but i have OBD1 dont know if that makes a difference....

i usually just armor all everything i can with a rag.....

Old 11-29-2010, 05:55 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd say the distributor got wet, But, I want to know how the heck SilverDodge doesn't spray any electrical connections! They are all over, except underneath the motor.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:20 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don’t cover anything, spray it down with engine cleaner as per the cans instructions and wash it off. Don’t focus the water on the pcm, just wash it. Please shut it if off when washing. Don’t wash a hot motor/rad, warm is better. A good household degreaser mix of 50/50 water and a cloth will work great on the inner fenders/ firewall/ rad support. Run it up as soon as you are done and let it run while you dry off the rest off the truck.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:15 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never wash my truck engine while running for one...and I take a pressure washer and blast the whole thing try not to hit pcm and main harness for to long and spray it with whatever soap/degreaser you like

everyonce in awhile it will get a miss but let it sit for 30 minutes or drive for 10 and no more problems

Old 11-29-2010, 09:27 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i wash mine and don't cover or avoid anything. i use engine cleaner and then rinse with low pressure. i do avoid hitting anything with high pressure up close. i either use the water hose at the house to rinse, or the car wash wand at long distance to reduce the pressure. high pressure is very abrasive and destructive...

i doubt that your problem was the distributor, because if it gets water in there, its got nowhere to go, and it won't restart until you dry it out, or spray wd40 in it. been there with my old mustang a long time ago.

your problem - was the starter not turning, or was the starter turning but wouldn't fire up? depending on the answer - chase that route and clean, or tighten, or put dielectric grease in the connectors. water shouldn't hurt anything as your engine gets soaking wet everytime you drive in the rain.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 11-29-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:37 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

I just cover my air filter and alternator, spray degreaser, and lightly rinse everything down. The pcm is molded together and sealed, so water should be no problem. If the alternator and battery can handle water, so can a sealed pcm. That's why its so "unprotected". You could even steam clean it. I do that every now and then.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:21 AM
rond97sport
Professional

i spray it down with superclean degreaser then rinse with the water hose ,let it drip dry for a while wipe it down and hit all the plastic and rubber with black magic .

Quick Reply: How can I wash the engine bay?