2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wanting to pick a few brians

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 07:04 PM
hillneckram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to pick a few brians

Ok not sure if this belongs here or gd but what im goin to do is get rid or my dodge axels and go with dana 60's out of a newer ford and go with leafsprings up front! Now ive never seen anybody do this with our trucks and not sure why!? If ur goin with a big lift its so much cheaper and imo alot stronger! So what is everybodies input on this??

Old 11-24-2010, 07:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Well... my name is Brian... so......

First thought is, grab the D60 rear out of a 3/4 ton dodge.... also grab springs, hangars off the frame..... I do believe the lug bolt pattern is the same as ford?

For the front, again, grab everything off of your donor. I think older GM 3/4 and 1 ton trucks used the D60 up front, with leaf springs...... Finding one that old might be a real trick these days though. Might be easier to just get the whole truck for dirt cheap. Doesn't matter if it runs, or what the body looks like. That can be converted to scrap metal, and you get a fair percentage of your investment back.

Why hasn't anyone done it? Don't know. I haven't seen one, but, that by no means implies there aren't some out there. You are correct that it is MUCH cheaper to lift a leaf spring suspension.... but, remember, aside from shocks, it IS suspension technology right out of the 1800s...... Might run into some interesting complications mounting the springs..... or, finding the axle with the pumpkin on the correct side to work with the dodge transfer case.

Should you do this, TAKE LOTS OF PICS!!!!!

Old 11-24-2010, 07:22 PM
nathangfnd
Captain

the issues would be getting the steering from the dodge to line up and work with the ford axles and with the leaf springs

Old 11-24-2010, 07:24 PM
hillneckram

Im goin to do it this summer and i will take lots of pics! Ford has the same drop as our year dodges. Im goin with lift leafsprings for a 99 superduty and building custom drop down hangers. The only thing with the axels are making sure you have a rear one with a speed sensor. Dodge and ford have the same plug. And yes they dont ride as soft but with 46's smooth ride goes out the window so im not worried there but others might be! Oh and my names Andrew

Old 11-24-2010, 07:29 PM
hillneckram

For the steering you have to go with cross over steering with a high arm kit and make a custom drag link. Not as hard as it sounds just some fab work! But im goin with ram asist steering also to save the gear box!

Old 11-24-2010, 07:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by hillneckram
For the steering you have to go with cross over steering with a high arm kit and make a custom drag link. Not as hard as it sounds just some fab work! But im goin with ram asist steering also to save the gear box!
Ever consider full hydraulic steering?

Old 11-24-2010, 07:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If one line breaks, you still have some control. (enough to get off the road, and fix it anyway.) If two break, I think you have bigger fish to fry.

A properly set up, and maintained hydraulic setup is no less safe that the mechanical linkage you have now. I have seen many broken tie rod ends, and various other suspension parts that lend all sorts of excitement to your day...... Used to work in a machine shop, and the only lines that I saw break were the ones that had been neglected for 30 years.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:36 PM
hillneckram

yea but i dont feel safe running that on the road if a line breaks theres no fail safe to fall back on!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:11 PM
hillneckram

lol thats true but i wonder if its legal to run one?

Old 11-24-2010, 08:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by hillneckram
lol thats true but i wonder if its legal to run one?
That is certainly a consideration.

It seems to be here in michigan, as, at a truck show I went to, a fair number of them that drove themselves there had full hydraulic steering, and license plates on the back.... Best bet would probably be to call the cops, and ask.....

Quick Reply: Wanting to pick a few brians