2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans overheating?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 05:15 PM
Roshi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans overheating?!

After reading a copious amount of posts on here over the past year and learning a lot thanks to all of you! I must start a new thread in hopes I can stop pulling my hair out.
2001 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.2L with 46re trans 91k miles

The first occurrence about a year ago with my issue was traveling at highway speeds, around 65-75 (Arizona here) uphill and downhill mid to high ambient temps. My overdrive light will turn on to indicate od is off (which i can easily tell that it has happened) and if continued driving my trans temp light. Pulling over right away I let it cool and continue. After doing a bunch of work, which i will list, it still has the same problem. Engine temp is good city or highway, trans temp is slightly high (told by technician recently) and obviously higher when od turns off from what i read as safety feature. I also notice it has power loss and hard to climb slight hills at higher speeds after trans starts getting hot in overdrive. No problems occur if i keep it 55 or under it seems but trans still is higher than should as told by tech.

The only problem Amoco could see is a 3-4 flare which i can feel and doesn't happen that often. However when im locked up in od going 55+, there is no slipping that i can feel and over all the whole vehicle runs great. So im not sure how that would explain my overheating issues being just a 3-4 flare unless im mistaken?
Slight engine oil leak from what seems to be rear main seal or just oil pan gasket (not fixed yet)

As far as the work iv done from recent to longest;
-Checked exhaust back pressure before cat
-Fuel pressure on fuel rail
-Changed trans fluid/filter
-Pulled valve body, cleaned and checked all valves, upgraded tcc lock plate with bigger orifice
-Flushed trans oil cooler radiator (seemed okay but i should have replaced)
-Adjusted TV cable
-Replaced spark plugs
-Clean distributor cap
-Changed trans fluid/filter
-Replaced all solenoids, governor or whatever else and accumulator spring (which was of course broken)
-Changed engine oil/filter
-Greased zerks
-Flushed radiator
-Pulley replaced (forgot which one, was squealing)
-Water pump, fan clutch, thermostat
Previous known work before me
-Trans cooler line check valve was taken off
-ECU/PCM was replaced (unknown reason)

From collecting all the info i could from here and what is happening. I can only conclude it its possibly my torque converter causing over heating?
Or even something as simple as my trans oil cooler being slighting clogged still and at higher speeds not enough circulation occurs, especially in this heat and up hills.
Would any of this also cause power loss when my trans gets hotter?
No codes put out ever

I am stumped! Any and all input on this situation would be more than appreciated after having a headache for a year.
Thanks in advanced

Old 06-28-2021, 07:48 PM
Roshi

Would the O/D snap ring and wave washer damage or O/D piston and seal damage cause trans overheat at higher speeds?
I read when such happens usually lose reverse and 4th gear.

Old 06-28-2021, 09:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

It's possible. Drop the pan, see if you find anything untoward in there.

Old 06-29-2021, 05:50 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

What did the fluid look like when you drained it(red-brown)? Where the bands adjusted?

Old 06-29-2021, 07:42 PM
Roshi

Originally Posted by Moparite
What did the fluid look like when you drained it(red-brown)? Where the bands adjusted?
The first time i flushed it a year ago it was pretty gross and brown. The other two times since has been clean, slight metal glitter. I adjusted both bands when i pulled off valve body over the winter.

Old 06-29-2021, 07:48 PM
Roshi

I took it into another trans place today that quoted me $1200-2100 for rebuild. However im not sure what parts they will use for such which is a concern and being too hot in Arizona atm i cant rebuild it myself.
Does anyone have any opinions on such or perhaps getting a reman from Streetsmarttransmission?

Old 06-30-2021, 05:52 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

You can always buy the parts and give them to the rebuilder. But with metal glitter you don't know what's causing it till you get it apart.
https://transmissioncenter.net/product-category/dodge/

Old 09-22-2021, 07:49 AM
Roshi

FIXED!
Hats off to Van Zeppelin over at dodge talk for mentioning collapsing cooler hoses.
I put a 11x10 inch plate cooler rated at 30,000 gvw and replaced the rubber lines going from cooler to metal trans cooler lines.
Drove over 2,500 miles in 50 days from arizona through colorado mountains and back without any problems.

I still notice a lack of power with o/d off going up some steep grades at higher speeds when its a bit warmer but it could be normal? Everything seems fine however i still suspect the torque converter could be an issue or something i lack knowledge of. I also notice some vacuum problems (using a/c and speed control together does the infamous switch to defrost) iv heard about the check valve but i cleaned it and seems to be functioning correctly. So perhaps a vacuum leak could be the culprit for low power, around the intake manifold? I hear some air noise in that area.

Last edited by Roshi; 09-22-2021 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Has the plenum been addressed?

Old 11-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Roshi

I have looked down through throttle body (see attached image). It doesn't look too bad, however i know how notorious these things need replaced. After some long traveling, it works great until i need to go uphill. I plugged the pcv and checked for suction on the breather hose but it didn't have any. Still wondering if perhaps its a plugged cat converter. Since there is a o2 sensor before and after cat, I thought i already checked pressures at each port and compared but its been awhile and perhaps passed when its still a problem.

Last edited by Roshi; 11-02-2022 at 12:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Trans overheating?!