2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

using laptop as OBD-II

Old 12-12-2021, 11:14 AM
Irwin Billiot
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question using laptop as OBD-II

is there a particular program or kit i should buy? i have a 2001 ram 1500 5.2l and need to be able to reset skim and remove skim info from computer. and be able to test all the sensors. right now i have an inexpensive thinkobd 100, and it doesn't seem able to read o2 sensors and yadda

Old 12-12-2021, 11:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Gonna need some pretty high zoot software for that...... A professional-level scanner, pretty much.

Old 12-12-2021, 10:41 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 100 Likes on 95 Posts

I harped on this a few times before, many pre-CANbus vehicles have multiple communication buses. In case of the OBDII 2nd gens there is the basic single wire OBDII, SCI and CCD. The OBDII interface is dog slow and only provides the required information. SCI can do much more, not only in terms of data read but also active tests (set RPM, play with the IAC etc.). CCD is for ABS and Airbags etc.
So yes, as HeyYou suggested you need a "shop level" tool. The problem is that the trucks are now 20+ years old and some newer tools don't even support them anymore. So look really closely what features the tool has for older Chryslers. The same is true for PC software. I also own a 4th gen and alfaOBD is the cat's meow for it but it is useless for pre-CANbus vehicles. Try to find an older used shop level tool that is not updated for newer vehicles anymore. OTC Genisys, Snap-on Mt2600 or I think there are some touch screen Snap-on models that have fallen by the wayside as well. Otherwise Autel, Launch and Thinktool are not obscenely expensive like Snap-on or Bosch/OTC.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: using laptop as OBD-II