2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 09:24 PM
jvbadboys
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4

i have a 98 dodge 3500 4x4 and the indicator light wont come on for the 4x4 it used to any ideaswhat it could be?

Old 01-08-2011, 09:53 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I will move this thread to the second generation Ram section,
FF

Old 01-08-2011, 09:58 PM
dodgeramit_10
Veteran

Welcome to DF.Ill help you out I asked the same question earlier this week go to the search bar type in 4x4 indicator light you will get a bunch of stuff. It will tell you about checking vacuum lines and stuff like that.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Buellstunter
Professional

Hello, 1st off is the truck going into 4wd and the light is not coming on? if its not going into 4wd it probably has a vacuume leak. I recently had the same issues with mine. I found the system to be pretty basic. There is a vacuume line that runs from the motor on pass. side to the rear of the transfer case where there is a vacuume switch. It is on top on drivers side. this is the vacuume switch for the front cad that engages a slide collar in the axle. you have 4 vacuume lines. 1 incoming vacuume white I think. 1 that is a vent green goes up behind distributor cap. 1 that is to engage the 4wd the other for 2wd. check all the vacuume lines for cracks. Also the 2 steel lines on the inside frame rail passenger side. Easiest way is to pull the cad vacuume lines from the front axle. 1 should have vacuume on it. when you shift the 4wd shifter the other should. if that is how it is working then it is something in the cad. possibly the vacuume motor. most likely its vacume loss somewhere if it recently worked. Good luck and hope this helped.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:15 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome to df. read this.
http://dodgeram.org/tech/repair/4X4/4x4_engagment.htm

and look at previous posts over the past couple of weeks about CAD, vacuum lines and leaks, etc. there's a lot of them.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:44 PM
chogg
Rookie

Also if 4wd is still working there is a switch on the cad that tends to go out or the wires came loose. Thats what happened to mine.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:06 PM
jvbadboys
Default thanks

[quote=Buellstunter;2375328]Hello, 1st off is the truck going into 4wd and the light is not coming on? if its not going into 4wd it probably has a vacuume leak. I recently had the same issues with mine. I found the system to be pretty basic. There is a vacuume line that runs from the motor on pass. side to the rear of the transfer case where there is a vacuume switch. It is on top on drivers side. this is the vacuume switch for the front cad that engages a slide collar in the axle. you have 4 vacuume lines. 1 incoming vacuume white I think. 1 that is a vent green goes up behind distributor cap. 1 that is to engage the 4wd the other for 2wd. check all the vacuume lines for cracks. Also the 2 steel lines on the inside frame rail passenger side. Easiest way is to pull the cad vacuume lines from the front axle. 1 should have vacuume on it. when you shift the 4wd shifter the other should. if that is how it is working then it is something in the cad. possibly the vacuume motor. most likely its vacume loss somewhere if it recently worked. Good luck and hope this helped.[/quote. thanks for the info im going to chk the switch in the axle the 4x4 is working fine i took it all apart and all the parts are set and in working order i just didnt know about the switch

Old 01-09-2011, 09:08 PM
jvbadboys

thanks every body that responded me and my son took it all part and found no broken parts next is the switch

Old 01-10-2011, 08:17 AM
chogg
Rookie

If the 4wd is working then it has to be the switch wiring or the light bulb in the dash.