2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Accel VS MSD

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Buellstunter
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accel VS MSD

I would like to upgrade my cap, rotor, wires and coil. Been doing some research and found Acell makes a complete set-up for my 96 ram 5.9. They have matched cap and rotor. 9000 series wires, "u" groove plugs and a "magnum" coil for right around $200. I've always used MSD in everything I have put together in the past and have been pleased.. unfortunately MSD does not have a Complete set-up that I have found. Also couldn't find a cap and rotor. My question is has anyone tried either of these products on the rams, and if so what are your thoughts with there performance? Thanks

Old 01-10-2011, 10:03 PM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

performance between the two will be negligible. Accel coils are known to spontaneously take a crap, so if you go that route, keep your stock coil in the truck. I would just go with whatever you can get cheaper.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:41 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

go with a msd coil, 8.5 wires, and a good cap and rotor with brass contacts, maybe even a msd 6a ignition box for a good improved spark,
but for the first tune up id just buy the accel super tune-up from jegs or summit.

by the way thats a nice dodge, what size tires/gears do you have?

Last edited by 99dodge318; 01-10-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:44 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Accel has brass contact cap and rotor. I get the accel tuneup package. The only thing is the U-Groove plugs are shorter than the stock plugs. Not sure why. And one time they sent a rotor that didn't fit.

I have been using Accel for years (For ease and price). No problems.

I will say this, I am getting pulstar iridium plugs and magnacore wires next tune up. ANd just the summit cap and rotor. They are brass contacts.

If you have a MSD system (Box), your cap/rotor/plugs/wires will wear out 3x as fast because they emit 3x the spark.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:35 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Dont use Accel coils. I had a set crap out on me in the S-10 after 2,000 miles. I dont think I'd use the Accel plugs, just stick with the stock Champions or NGK V-Powers.

Next time I do my ignition, I wanna try this, though:
http://www.performancedistributors.com/dtrkignition.htm
If that is too expensive for you, just stick with your OEM replacement stuff. There is absolutley nothing wrong with them.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:40 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Next time I do my ignition, I wanna try this, though:
http://www.performancedistributors.com/dtrkignition.htm
Schweet. I've got about 3,000 miles on that setup, running NGK IZFR6K-13 (Iridium) plugs, and I've been happy with it so far. When I checked the plugs at 500 miles the porcelain looked like they'd just come new out of the box and there wasn't yet enough color on the ground electrodes for a timing reading. I've got to get around to pulling a few plugs for another inspection some day soon, but I'm in no hurry because the old truck is still running strong.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Buellstunter
Professional

Originally Posted by 99dodge318
go with a msd coil, 8.5 wires, and a good cap and rotor with brass contacts, maybe even a msd 6a ignition box for a good improved spark,
but for the first tune up id just buy the accel super tune-up from jegs or summit.

by the way thats a nice dodge, what size tires/gears do you have?
Thanks! 99dodge318. The tires are 38x15.5x16's. unfortunately I still have the stock 3.55 gears. I am planning on swapping them with some dana 60's and a set of 4.56 gears. Need to get the cold engine miss and caugh it has straightened out first though.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Buellstunter
Professional

Thanks guys for all the replies. I do have a spare MSD 6A box laying around in my garage. is there a great benefit to running that over say a MSD replacement coil...Does it mess with the fuel sync. to run the msd box, I assume I can just use the cam position sensor to run the MSD box? I never messed with fuel injected vehichles. always played with carbed motors. Any info would be appriciated. I'm thinking it would be nice to use the MSD 6A with a blaster coil. MSD 8.5 wires and possibly the accel cap and rotor or a brass contact cap and rotor from summit or jegs. Champion or an autolite plugs then. Thanks again to all.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:05 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Shoot aim4squirrels a PM on how to wire the box up. He has one in his truck.

You dont necessaraly need to buy the cap and rotor from Summit. Save on shipping and buy a cap and rotor from NAPA that has brass terminals.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:52 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our trucks seem to like brass and copper way better than the expensive metals that companies try to get you to buy, any brand that you can find local will be good enough

MSD has how to hook up the box on there site, its pretty simple with the setup our trucks run

Quick Reply: Accel VS MSD