2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Possessed Truck Heat and Smoke

Old 01-05-2021, 08:18 PM
CrazyCozart
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possessed Truck Heat and Smoke

Ok gonna start with the heater.
I replaced heater core due to having no heat and fogging of winshield. I still have no heat. It does not have an actuator motor on hvac box. i have manually moved the control to core due to cable being off.. i cannot get any heat. Ideas?
Next is oul consumption and smoke.
Compression check shows 100 to 120 lowest being 100 on #6 and #8. Plugs were old so I replaces and the new ones show nothing particular. It is losing some coolant somewere. It is not bubbling back, no oil and water mix in oil to be seen. I have come to conclusions that it is very possibly a head gasket. This truck does not run hot, does not miss. All in all runs good for 291431 miles. I need all advice I can get before I tackle this head gasket replacement. I have posted on here before and alot of helpful info. Xome on gear heads let's here what you got to say

Old 01-05-2021, 10:00 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyCozart
Ok gonna start with the heater.
I replaced heater core due to having no heat and fogging of winshield. I still have no heat. It does not have an actuator motor on hvac box. i have manually moved the control to core due to cable being off.. i cannot get any heat. Ideas?
Next is oul consumption and smoke.
Compression check shows 100 to 120 lowest being 100 on #6 and #8. Plugs were old so I replaces and the new ones show nothing particular. It is losing some coolant somewere. It is not bubbling back, no oil and water mix in oil to be seen. I have come to conclusions that it is very possibly a head gasket. This truck does not run hot, does not miss. All in all runs good for 291431 miles. I need all advice I can get before I tackle this head gasket replacement. I have posted on here before and alot of helpful info. Xome on gear heads let's here what you got to say
Most likely it's not a head gasket but cracked heads which is a common issue on the 2nd gens

Old 01-05-2021, 10:48 PM
CrazyCozart
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anyway to check head to see if cracked without removing it?

Old 01-06-2021, 01:38 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Not that I'm aware of

Old 01-06-2021, 05:59 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

You could run a leak down test and see if any air is escaping into #8.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:09 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 573 Likes on 520 Posts

Get a tester and put it on your radiator fill. This will show if combustion gasses are getting into the cooling system. It won't tell you if a head is cracked or not but it will tell you if you have a blown head gasket. Low pressure on #6 and 8 doesn't look good.

The following users liked this post:
CrazyCozart (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 10:25 AM
Mike Holmen
Professional
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Leak down test (a compression spark plug fitting and an air hose) will show you want you need to know. Put each cylinder your going to test at TDC and make sure that the valves are closed.

Look for bubbles in the rad or air leaking from the exhaust/intake/crank case or any where. If the piston is at TDC, the cylinder should seal-up with only minor leakage. Some measure the cylinder pressure loss to get the overall condition, but I'm sure you wont need to be that fancy. It will be obvious leakage with that low of compression.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possessed Truck Heat and Smoke