2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

brights problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 03:18 AM
dvowicker
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brights problem

im having trouble with my brights but im not sure whats wrong. if i pull my switch for my headlights one tim ethe parking lights come on but so do the regular lights. if i pull it out the rest of the way nothing different happens. im not sure if its the headlight switch or if its the switch thatt controls the turnsignals and the wipers

Old 01-30-2011, 09:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Got a short somewhere...... trouble is, could be anywhere..... Wouldn't hurt to pull the headlight switch, and have a look at the connector, and wires right there. They are known to melt, and cause some interesting issues.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:56 AM
dvowicker
Rookie

well i pulled the switch nothing looks to be melted. this truck did have an aftermarket alarm installed by previous owner and there was a wire ran into the back of the headlight switch i cut it but it still does no difference i dont think it could be a short...
everything works fine except for when i pull for the brights they come on but they dont stay on. they just turn right off. that and i dont have a designated spot for just parking lights. if i pull the switch once the parking lights and the regular lights come on not just the parking lights

Last edited by dvowicker; 01-31-2011 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:48 AM
Randy_W
Professional

Sounds like an internal switch problem to me.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Two separate problems there. The brights not staying on is probably going to be the multifunction switch.

Headlights coming on with park lights is a short. Good possibility it is in the switch....

Old 02-05-2011, 12:30 AM
dvowicker
Rookie

alright so today i diagnosed why my check engine light was on it was because of a battery temp sensor. i fixed that and after that once i try to hit my brights passenger light gets really bright and the driver goes dim. if i do pull my brights it turns off the fog lights and the only way to get them back on is if i pull my switch and put it back in. well i went over to my buddies and put his headlight switch in my truck and it does the same thing mine is doing. so now i have one bright and one dim. i also swapped bulbs one from the right to the left and it still does the same problem. i dont know whats going on!

Old 02-05-2011, 01:01 AM
Annihilator_X9
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fog lights are supposed to turn off when brights are on. This is by design since both are higher intensity and would blind people heading towards you. There's a way to make them stay on if you do a search of the forum.

On the dimming side, sounds like it could be a wiring issue from that aftermarket alarm possibly? That one baffles even me.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:49 AM
dvowicker
Rookie

got ahold of previous owner and he said that the brights worked for him until one day they just stopped... idk. he may be hiding something from me not sure... but this is what im thinking its got to be either a ground problem or the multi switch.. i dont understand why it would be the multiswitch if the parking lights are still coming on with the headlights in the first position. but then again i dont know why my brights wont stay on if its a ground they should at least engage...

Old 02-05-2011, 04:52 AM
dvowicker
Rookie

Originally Posted by Annihilator_X9
The fog lights are supposed to turn off when brights are on. This is by design since both are higher intensity and would blind people heading towards you. There's a way to make them stay on if you do a search of the forum.

On the dimming side, sounds like it could be a wiring issue from that aftermarket alarm possibly? That one baffles even me.

i understand that the fogs are supposed to turn off with the brights this is my second dodge the first never had any headlight troubles.. but the thing i dont get is that when i do pull the brights it shuts off the fogs and they wont turn back on until i turn the lights off and then turn them back on. the previous owner said that the alarm was took off before he had problems with the lights.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Do you have aftermarket headlights in the truck?

Quick Reply: brights problem