2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny problems / shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 06:34 PM
bodean
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny problems / shifting problems

i have a 96 dodge ram 2500 5.9 l v8 with a auto trans and push button over-drive my problem is that when i bought the truck the passing gear or kick down cable was unhooked from the tranny and i hooked it back up but it shifts out of first arround 20 or 25 mph and then it shifts out of 2nd into drive at arround 50 to 55 mph and if it drops below that it shifts back down into 2nd and it didnt seem right to me so i went back and unhooked the cable and it wont shift out on its own up or down some one told me that these trucks have a electric shift box inside the tranny and that it could be messed up if any one can help i would be greatful

Old 02-06-2011, 06:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

You have a 46RE trans, various portions are electronic, but, not all of it.

Governor pressure, and sensor, are both controlled by the PCM....... But, shifts are all hydraulic. (by pressure.....) Disconnecting the TV cable makes the trans think you are idling all the time...... I would think that would give you really premature shifts though.....

There is a procedure posted on the forums here (in several places....) for properly adjusting the TV cable. I would do that first, so that things are supposedly working the way they are supposed to...... see how that feels.

Quick Reply: tranny problems / shifting problems