2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum Gasket years?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 06:04 PM
OtisB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plenum Gasket years?

I have an 01 ram with a 5.2. Engine code Y if that matters. Shows all symptoms of the plenum gasket problems, but some of the TSBs I've seen only show the problem through 1999 or 2000. I haven't yet pulled anything apart, just wondering if I'm barking up the wrong tree or if I'll be pulling the intake off this weekend.

Thanks all, you have a great forum here, TONS of info that I've fallen back on repeatedly since I bought this pickup a year ago.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

they have the same intake manifold design from 94 on. They ALL have the problem. Take a look down the throttle body for starters. It just might be obvious. It was on my 96.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:59 PM
OtisB

Originally Posted by HeyYou
they have the same intake manifold design from 94 on. They ALL have the problem. Take a look down the throttle body for starters. It just might be obvious. It was on my 96.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear.

It's not real bad as far as symptoms go. I only noticed because I ran some 87 octane in it (normally put 91 in everything) and it started pinging under load. Checked the oil and it was a quart low after 2000 miles. The biggest factor is that I only get 10-11 mpg with a 5 speed and other folks I have talked to say I should get closer to 15. I never noticed excessive oil usage prior to about 2 months ago, so apparently the problem just became worse recently.

Heading to pick up gaskets and spark plugs right now so I can tear it apart in the morning. Hope this helps the mileage some, getting expensive to put premium in the tank at $3.44/gal.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Annihilator_X9
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm hoping it helps too! I'm doing my plenum next weekend. Currently getting 8mpg and low on power before 3000rpms. However, I have no pinging at all on any gas. Makes me think I've got the death flash.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:26 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Unless you're masking a problem (like a blown plenum gasket), running 91/92/93 octane in any vehicle, unless its been tuned for it (SCT, Superchips, or etc.), is a waste of money. Does not help the vehicle at all.

Our trucks are tuned for 87 from the factory. The Hemis like 89 octane, but to my knowledge, most or all other Chrysler gas engines like 87.

Its your money to waste, so whatever makes you happy I guess, but just wanted to let you know.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Annihilator_X9
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never run anything higher than 87 unless the vehicle requires it. We have a Mitsubishi that needs 91, but other than that, it's a complete waste of money.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:28 AM
1999blkdakrt
Professional

I am working on a new plenum pan repair kit that will be very similar to the hughes but cheaper of course, I will have more info this week.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:37 PM
OtisB

Tore it down, replaced with felpro replacement gasket, and put it all back together last night. Runs good, I'll know if it's better when I put some 87 in it today.

there was about 1/2 cup of oil puddled in the bottom of the plenum. The gasket wasn't blown out, but it was hard and not sealed. As others have mentioned the plenum pan bolts were too long to torque properly so I ground 1/8 inch off the ends and it all went together nicely. Took about 10 hours total, with 2 of us working on it. Biggest problems were getting the pulley off the water pump, spent about an hour messing with that until we went to town and bought a spanner wrench. It was incredibly tight. And getting the fuel line off the fuel rail required another trip to town to get that tool as well. Also noticed while I had it apart that it has the death flash. So I guess I'll be looking for a chip for it at some point, but first we have to resolve the bald tire issue. The previous owner put 285/70/17s on it, and with 4/32 of tread it might as well have slicks on it.

Thanks again for all the info you guys share here, it's been very helpful in getting to know my truck.

Quick Reply: Plenum Gasket years?