2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2 new issues...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:47 PM
talthyren
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 new issues...

Meant to title this 3 new issues

#1. Noticing a squeak coming from front passenger side wheel area I cant figure out, only happens when going around corners, does not happen when traveling in a straight line. Its a rotating squeak, so its something that's turning, its not like a suspension squeak.

If i drive through a puddle, or its raining it doesn't ever happen.

#2. When first started in the morning the throttle kinda gets stuck....like the first few times I come to a stop ill be applying the break but the truck will be giving itself gas.....Once it warms up a bit it goes away....I'm thinking maybe the TPS is bunked? the IAC is brand new last month.

#3. somewhat related to #2, when cold in the morning when im coming to a stop, and going like 5mph the truck shakes and wobbles...kinda like the brake rotors are warped or something....but this goes away as soon as the truck warms up....which kinda eliminates the rotors doesn't it? if it was rotors it would be doing it all the time.

Thanks for any help, always appreciated.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:50 PM
jam23
Rookie

Check out your wheel bearings (hubs), rotors, and Ujoints. Is your throttle hard to push to? Could just be a worn cable causing drag and it loosens as you use it.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

When is the last time the truck had a tune up? How old are the O2 sensors??

Old 08-19-2011, 06:41 PM
talthyren
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
When is the last time the truck had a tune up? How old are the O2 sensors??
Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, O2 sensors pre and post cat all new. Plenum fixed, new cat, Throttle body cleaned out when I did the plenum.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:42 PM
talthyren
Veteran

Originally Posted by jam23
Check out your wheel bearings (hubs), rotors, and Ujoints. Is your throttle hard to push to? Could just be a worn cable causing drag and it loosens as you use it.
Exactly what does a person look for when diagnosing Ujoints? I don't think my wheel bearings are the culprit...if it was them, the squeak would happen all the time, not just when turning.

Throttle is quite hard to push, yes.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:44 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd say you need a new throttle cable to start off with.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Make sure the throttle cable is routed properly too. If it isn't on the little 'nub' on the linkage, it WILL be hard to press initially.

Check u-joints for being either sloppy, or binding. Either condition will give you some odd behavior.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:03 PM
talthyren
Veteran

wouldn't be the TPS?

Old 08-19-2011, 07:04 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That has nothing to do with a hard gas pedal.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:22 AM
jam23
Rookie

Originally Posted by talthyren
Exactly what does a person look for when diagnosing Ujoints? I don't think my wheel bearings are the culprit...if it was them, the squeak would happen all the time, not just when turning.

Throttle is quite hard to push, yes.
Jack up your front end and then find your u joints. Grab both sides of the axle next to the joint and rotate your hand opposite directions. there should be no play. if there is a very little bit and they are greasable then grease them and recheck for play. if there is a lot of play and or they are non-greaseable you should replace them.. When replacing be careful not to bash the inner axle seal when sliding your axle back in because they are a bitch to replace supposedly. Buy good joints too especially if you off-road.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: 2 new issues...