2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

School a brutha on some AIT please..

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 02:07 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I work about 30 miles from where I live. I was more than halfway there when the first knocks were heard/felt.. I'm pretty sure I was in closed loop, but without the computer slaved to it- I couldn't tell you for sure..

heating it up was what I was aiming for- and I'm sure I did, though a lot warmer than I thought it would get.. It's really hard to tell if it was due to a/f leaning out (which is one of the things we suspect the IAT does) or if it was retarding timing (which we know it does for sure)... I'll be needing that wb a/f and a computer slaved to it to give any accurate data snippets from when it is knocking to isolate the cause.

I don't know if I trust any a/f suspicions on the computer, based off of narrow band o2.. I'm going to stop the presses on this until I can get the wb hooked up and I can look at it specifically.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread is a hub of information. I love it when something actively challenges my critical thinking skills (which doesnt seem to happen a lot).

Give us enough time, and we'll (more y'all than me) have the IAT decoded--no longer will it be a sensor who's exact implementation is shrouded in mystery.

Not to thread jack; but what program are you running to pull info from your pcm? Ive been looking around for a good one for a while.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:25 PM
drewactual
Champion

you'll hafta allow me to get home and check it out.. I THINK it's called simply 'diagnostic', and it is a freeware. I can't alter anything on the PCM with it, as it is just a monitoring device..

edited to add: HERE

Last edited by drewactual; 03-14-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:41 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got that site saved so I can download it once home.....now just need to get a cord

Im really surprized, the iat made that much of a difference.....gonna pay alot of attention to this thread and maybe learn something

Old 03-14-2011, 06:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

There is a fair bit of hoop jumping necessary to be able to edit the programming, and re-write it to the PCM. This is something I am working on in the background..... Hopefully, it won't require spending 500 bucks on software....

Old 03-14-2011, 07:09 PM
drewactual
Champion

Hey Sheriff, I missed part of your post earlier about mileage... You're out in the western part of the state, no? I bet a dollar our mileage is similar- I don't contend with hills at all. You likely run your engine a lot harder than I do mine to get to, and maintain speed.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:08 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm dead in the center of the state, it isn't too hilly here.
I don't know if my engine has to strain more to get up to speed since our gears/tires are closely matched (33/4.11 vs 35/4.56). We also have similar mods.
Mine normally runs up to about 2500/2600 rpms then shifts into second. then each shift after that is 2400 rpm just before the shift then down to 2100 rpm after the shift. It settles in at about 2000 rpm at 60mph and 2200 rpm at 70mph.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:13 AM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
you'll hafta allow me to get home and check it out.. I THINK it's called simply 'diagnostic', and it is a freeware. I can't alter anything on the PCM with it, as it is just a monitoring device..

edited to add: HERE

Thanks man

Old 03-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
I'll be needing that wb a/f and a computer slaved to it to give any accurate data snippets from when it is knocking to isolate the cause.
I'll be watching. You OBDII guys sure are lucky that way. I'd love to hook my truck up to my laptop/WB O2 and start logging data. Hopefully much of what you learn will be translatable to older computer styles. Even if the older trucks have an entirely different method of doing the number crunching, they are using the same sensors to monitor and control the same engine...ie they are achieving basically the same results int the end even if the methods are completely different.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Actually, the methods aren't all that different.... there is some additional programming in the OBDII computers, they are a bit faster, and store their programming differently. You can still do data logging the exact same way, just need software that is capable of it.

You are in the exact same boat as the OBDII guys, when it comes to altering the programming though..... Dodge didn't make it easy for the OBDI guys, with a PROM that could be removed, replaced, or reprogrammed..... (that I am aware of) For the OBDII guys, just having the software capable of lgging isn't enough. You also need to be able to EDIT the programming, dump it to your tuner, and then write it to the PCM. So far, we have the tuner, we have logging software, what I am finding difficult to come up with, is shareware/freeware EDITING software.

Quick Reply: School a brutha on some AIT please..