DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   End-all Be-all plenum thread (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/286307-end-all-be-all-plenum-thread.html)

It's Me Patt 06-29-2012 11:31 PM

Thanks HeyYou...You used the Hughes kit, the pan bolts that came in my kit look like they have red locktite on them already did yours? Also, I bought some blaster for the IM bolts, should I be worried that it might affect the spec torque? thanks in advance!

HeyYou 06-30-2012 09:13 AM

I got the hughes kit, but, there was nothing on my bolts..... I just picked up some blue lok-tite at the parts store.

You want to make sure all the bolts/holes you need to torque to spec are nice and clean. I bought new IM bolts, and ran a tap down the holes..... I haven't had any issues with mine. Been about a year now I think...

It's Me Patt 07-01-2012 12:02 AM

Thanks, once again HeyYou! I've had a cat go bad on me in the past, so I'm familar with pulling the pre cat sensor. Just an FYI for anyone who reads this..My cat failed a few weeks back and lost all power. I was down the street from my house and I pulled the pre cat sensor (mine screws directly into the cat) thinking that would at least get me up that slight hill and around the corner. No such luck! Total cloggage! Truck wouldn't run. Had to have it towed..so close yet so far. Next day I broke out the trusty o'l sawzall & cut the cat out and she fired right up...moral of the story, just pulling the O2 sensor doesn't always mean you be able to diagnose an issue..and In my case the failure of the catalytic converter, massive oil consumption and #8 misfire are a result of a bad plenum gasket

gdstock 07-01-2012 12:11 AM

Pulling the O2 sensor will only relieve some of the exhaust pressure, so if it is totally clogged like yours, you are correct. Still not enough air flow to provide for combustion - so no run! But if cat is only beginning to get clogged, it is a good, wuick and inexpensive diagnotic procedure....most of the time!

It's Me Patt 07-01-2012 12:27 AM

I'm not going to mod my IM, would you suggest I do the SCT tune thing after the plenum job? And if so did you buy the tuner or have someone do it? Thanks!

gdstock 07-01-2012 12:54 AM

The SCT tune is a good investment. Removes death flash and improves performance. I did modify my kegger, but would have done the SCT either way. I unsderstand you have to buy the tuner. Once used, it logs the VIN and will not work on another VIN. Just what I have heard or read....don't know for sure.

It's Me Patt 07-01-2012 09:06 AM

Cool thanks for the tip!

It's Me Patt 07-01-2012 10:16 PM

I'm kinda stuck...I can't pull the fuel injectors/rail..are they that tuff to get out, should I really put real the hell out of them? I planned on pulling them out of the IM and tying it/them back. But now I'm thinking I should pick up the fuel line tool and taking the FI rail/IM out as an assembly. Advice, tips, help! plaese!

gdstock 07-01-2012 10:37 PM

You can leave the rail and injectors in tact. If you do remove, yoiu need to install new o rings. Just discconnect the fuel line from the rail and you should be good.

They should pull straight out with even pressure. But injector bodies are plastic so be cautious with any force.

It's Me Patt 07-01-2012 10:42 PM

I have the new o-rings..I'm trying to be gentle but that's now working. Guess I'm going to buy that tool in the AM. Thanks..