2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

End-all Be-all plenum thread

Old 11-27-2016, 12:40 AM
Wtd85
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading thru this thread I think I probably found my problem. Would this also let oil into the coolant?

Old 11-27-2016, 02:50 AM
Sonocativo
Professional

Originally Posted by Wtd85
After reading thru this thread I think I probably found my problem. Would this also let oil into the coolant?
I doubt it unless the intake gasket has blown out at the coolant port, Oil in the coolant sounds more like a head gasket? How is the oil when you pull the dipstick?

Old 11-27-2016, 08:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

I'm not sure it's even possible for oil to get into the coolant.... the oil passages are far away from any coolant passages, and even those, aren't pressurized. Oil in coolant is likely trans fluid......

Old 11-27-2016, 02:53 PM
Wtd85

Originally Posted by Sonocativo
I doubt it unless the intake gasket has blown out at the coolant port, Oil in the coolant sounds more like a head gasket? How is the oil when you pull the dipstick?
The oil doesn't appear to be discolored or murky. No external coolant leak either. Wouldn't a bad head gasket cause overheating?

Old 11-27-2016, 04:51 PM
Sonocativo
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I'm not sure it's even possible for oil to get into the coolant.... the oil passages are far away from any coolant passages, and even those, aren't pressurized. Oil in coolant is likely trans fluid......
at the far front and rear of the heads is a coolant port. If the intake gaskets leak near front or rear then the coolant will run down into the valley and into the pan. I seen those when I pulled he keg to do the plenum. May be able to see them enlarging the pictures of the block.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:52 PM
Sonocativo
Professional

I recently replaced my plenum gasket, it was blown in 6 spots, pinged like a **** ! I bought the truck used and the guy told me he had a tuner and lost it so it stuck to run on premium gas.... I didn't think at the time to check the plenum as it was raining cats n dogs. But since changing it the pinging has stopped, more responsive when I get on it, I went from 200 per tank of gas to 350 ( I haven't did the math yet for actual MPG ) new plugs, wires, cap and rotor as well as TPS since the old one broke unplugging it. Fresh oil with seafoam to clean out all the gunk in the block as the plenum was caked in carbon. All the sparkplugs that came out were various brands... that idiot doesn't need another vehicle. Other things Ive done was all new shocks, tires, damper.. making it mine.
Heat wasn't working well, replaced water pump... Then found the thermostat was crudded up and so much gasket maker the guy used, just crazy. So corrected it all while doing the plenum.
if you look at the pictures, you can see the coolant ports ( small ports ) and the intake ports (large ports)

Old 11-27-2016, 04:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

if you look at the pictures, you can see the coolant ports ( small ports ) and the intake ports (large ports)
But they are a pretty far distance apart, and the cooling system will be under pressure, any oil there, will not be...... You can get coolant in the oil from leaks at those ports, but, oil will never find its way into the cooling system.

I would be real tempted to pull the trans dipstick, and see what THAT fluid looks like....

Of course, it may just be some crap a previous owner dumped in there too.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:02 PM
Sonocativo
Professional

But they are a pretty far distance apart, and the cooling system will be under pressure, any oil there, will not be...... You can get coolant in the oil from leaks at those ports, but, oil will never find its way into the cooling system.

I would be real tempted to pull the trans dipstick, and see what THAT fluid looks like....

Of course, it may just be some crap a previous owner dumped in there too.
That's why I say its probly more of a head gasket to get oil in coolant.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's why I say its probly more of a head gasket to get oil in coolant.
No pressurized oil flows thru the head gasket either.......

Old 11-28-2016, 02:08 AM
Sonocativo
Professional

No pressurized oil flows thru the head gasket either.......
Can if bad ring, valve seal or cracked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: End-all Be-all plenum thread