2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What is a transmission cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Seth_787446
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a transmission cooler?

This might be a silly question but I don't know what it is or what it's purpose is. I want my tranny to last and I have read on here that they help out so how much do they cost? Thanks!

Old 04-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Truedge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tranny cooler is designed to cool the transmission fluid and looks a bit like a tiny radiator. Most of the part stores sell a kit that can be installed and are for the most part universal. Follow the instructions in the kit for proper instillation. By the way you will want to check on these forums about doing the check valve delete if it hasn't already been done on your truck. That right there will help the life of your transmission.

Also if you haven't done it already you might want to change your transmission filter.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It looks like you have the tow package on that truck. It comes with a trans cooler. It'll be the small radiator thing to the right of the AC condenser. Both of which are in front of the radiator.

Quick Reply: What is a transmission cooler?