2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help me

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 05:44 PM
95dodge13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me

I have a 1995 ram with a 5.9. i can start my truck but it blows out blue smoke and it smells like straight fuel. I do not have a check engine light. I put my truck into gear and it wants to die. Any ideas on what the problem is? Someone please help me?

Old 04-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Blue smoke is oil burning. Burning oil fouls the front o2 sensor (which regulates the a/f ratio) which may be why you have the "straight fuel" smell.

Check the plenum: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...um-thread.html

Next on the list is pcv valve, though I've never heard of one failing that bad.

If that checks out, possibly your valve seals or piston rings... which aren't easy.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Pwall
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

blue smoke is gas and white smoke is oil

Old 04-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwall
blue smoke is gas and white smoke is oil
No, white smoke is usually coolant (water) or very high levels of oil. Blue smoke is generally accepted to be a moderate amount of oil.

If blue smoke was gas, you'd see it every time you drastically changed throttle position (floored it). Which doesnt happen.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:04 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyways....... i too have always come to think that blue smoke was a fuel problem... which means ur dumpin to much fuel in that its cant get it all burned off so it just gets pushed out. and the reason it dont do that when you floor the gas, is cuz the engine ge tthe higher air/fuel ratio also so it is able to burn that extra fuel, otherwise it wont and would give you blue smoke.

as to what is causing your prob. i hostestly have no clue off the top of my head, did you recently do anything to it? sounds like the fuel is not being regulated to me. the injectors are just pouring like a mother.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Black smoke is fuel.

White smoke is coolant/moisture. (some when you first start it is normal, also when it is cold out, as it is a product of combustion/cat converter)

Blue smoke is oil.

Disconnect the vacuum line from the pcv valve, and plug it. Start the engine. Let it run for a few minutes, still getting blue smoke? Take off the oil cap. Is the breeze blowing out? Or is it sucking in? A bit of pressure is normal. A lot of pressure is bad news. Sucking in more than likely means you plenum is blown. Blown plenum will lead to excessive oil consumption....... and blue smoke.