2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overcharge/Electrical Ghost

Old 08-30-2013, 10:35 AM
undetekted
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overcharge/Electrical Ghost

Hi all,

To preface, I have read the other overcharge/voltage regulator threads and am still not satisfied with my condition.

A couple days ago I drove across town and not 2 blocks from my destination the "Check Gauges" light came on and my voltmeter was pegged out at 18V. So I parked at my destination, took care of business, and when I came back to the truck it wouldn't start. Starter (or starter relay) clicked a couple times then no more. No interior or exterior power. Tried jump starting, no luck. I went to class for a couple hours. Tried starting again. No gusta. Pulled the starter relay, checked it, cleaned the contacts. This time all was happy. Interior, exterior power available, engine started. Since then all has worked properly. Checked the battery:
Engine off: 12.57V
Engine on: 14.1V
Engine on w/ lights, fan load: 14.0V

Everything has been working fine since. Which worries me just a little. Can't find any obvious shorts or wiring issues. What do you guys think, is there a real issue or was this just a funky glitch?

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2013, 12:03 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a glitch, all the volt readings were in spec.

It if happens another time, then I'd be worried, but if it hasn't happened since, nothing to be concerned about.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overcharge/Electrical Ghost