2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing adjustment sleeve on Drag Link

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 02:08 PM
gbchilds
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing adjustment sleeve on Drag Link

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

After searching the forum to no avail, I am asking for guidance from some experienced DIYers. My son was in an accident that broke the adjustment sleeve on the drag link. The link itself is fine, it's just the sleeve that broke in the middle of the space where the 2 ends of the drag link do not meet. I have the new sleeve but need a little advice on the best (and easiest) method to install it. Also, any info on special tools and how to use them would be very helpful. I have "worked" on my own cars for most of my life, but I have never had to perform this particular repair. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise!

There IS a special nifty tool for this exercise, but, at home, I usually just use a pipe wrench.

Welcome to DF.

Last edited by HeyYou; 01-03-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Remove the lock bolts on the broken sleeve, spread the 'ears' a bit, and simply unthread them. A little bit of penetrating oil never hurts either....

To install the new one, get it started a bit (1/4" max) on one side, then get the other side started, adjust it so the steering wheel is centered, when the wheels are fairly straight. Put the locking bolts in, and torque 'em down fairly tight. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:48 PM
gbchilds
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you! Sounds simple enough. Just wasn't sure if there was a "trick" to doing it correctly or if it was straight forward. So few jobs are simple anymore. Thanks again!

Old 01-03-2013, 03:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Well... this IS one of the VERY few....

Old 01-03-2013, 04:39 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And then have front end aligned.....

Quick Reply: Replacing adjustment sleeve on Drag Link