DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Brake question. hearing a bang or pop sound (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/297310-brake-question-hearing-a-bang-or-pop-sound.html)

mgaither0 07-13-2011 04:19 AM

Brake question. hearing a bang or pop sound

When I back up and go to stop I hear a bang or pop sound coming from the passanger side front brakes I believe. My vehicle just passed inspection and prior I replaced the ball joints and wheel bearing and the brake clips that hold the pads. The brakes seem to stop fine and then everythign passed inspection. I'm just concerned by this poping or banging sound I hear. Its like either the pad shifts and bangs or smacks against the rotor. All stoping power feeling fine just the noise. Any idea what this is? Should I be alarmed? thanks

HeyYou 07-13-2011 11:58 AM

Brakes? Yeah, problems there ALWAYS get my attention....... :D

I would check all the bolts, and make sure they are all nice and tight. Since you just had everything off, you may have missed something, or, something may have just worked itself loose.

zman17 07-13-2011 12:56 PM

Maybe it's (the noise)coming from the rear drums?

mgaither0 07-13-2011 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by zman17 (Post 2548686)
Maybe it's (the noise)coming from the rear drums?

If its coming from the rear drums what do u think is causing the noise? What should I been looking for?

zman17 07-13-2011 05:18 PM

Broken springs or hold down rods/clips. I was just throwing that out there. I agree with HeyYou, to check all your work on the front though.

CPTAFW163 07-13-2011 05:36 PM

I had the same sound. But it was diagnosed as the backlash in the rearend being messed up.

VEETEN 07-13-2011 06:43 PM

Did you change the universals on the front when you had it apart?
If yes I'd say a needle bearing went in wrong.

mgaither0 07-14-2011 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by VEETEN (Post 2548960)
Did you change the universals on the front when you had it apart?
If yes I'd say a needle bearing went in wrong.

are the universals your talking about the clips for the brake pads? if so yes. I dont know how it could be wrong they are on just like the ones were on before

mgaither0 07-14-2011 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 2548631)
Brakes? Yeah, problems there ALWAYS get my attention....... :D

I would check all the bolts, and make sure they are all nice and tight. Since you just had everything off, you may have missed something, or, something may have just worked itself loose.

I know everything is tight. I cranked the bolts in there. But I did just think the bolts that are in the calipers could possibly be the problem for starters. The bolts on the passanger side that came out are different lengths and the one had a allen head on it so obviously it was stripped to all **** and I had to take it out with channel locks. the other bolt looked all shady also.

Could anyone tell me what size caliper bolt threads I should have and the length. Thats going to be my first bet and I'm going to replace all of them because I'm not so sure there are even the rite ones in the drivers side either.

mgaither0 07-14-2011 11:56 AM

i guess some how it didnt make the noise before but now the bolts being wrong its moved enought or something.